New Peterson Rustication

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
I got a weird thing in the post Saturday just gone, a smallish jiffy bag sent from a PO Box address in Wales, I don't know anyone from Wales that I am aware of so this was really weird but many many thanks to the sender, did I mention the sending address was a PO Box, so weird.

I sadly didn't have the fore thought to take a photo of what was inside the jiffy bag before I took it out to the shed and tore into it, it was a Peterson System pipe, almost identical to the one I had before that was broken, ya know the one I did the Pete Pictorial for!

This pipe is actually quite new in as much as it doesn't seem to have been smoked very often, but it was in a horrible state, it looked rather like some one had taken it outside and kicked it around the ground for a good few hours. It was gouged, scratched and dinged like you just wouldn't believe, at first I thought some one had sent it to me as a 'gag pipe', that's been done several times over the past year, but hell, this is a Peterson pipe we're talking about here so out to the shed I went.

The P-Lip was so badly damaged I cut it off as I do with all P-Lip stems, I can't stand the darn things, then I set to rusticating this poor little baby, as you guys know there isn't enough Briar on these Pete's to get a serious craggy rustication safely so I gave it a shallow rustication, just deep enough to get shot of all the surface damage on the Briar, turned out quite well I think, it is a super smoker, I love Pete's.

The pipe looked something like this but imagine it really badly beaten up, this was my own old Pete Sys' before I did the Pete Pictorial.

IMG_0638.jpg

This is how this poor beaten up baby looks now:

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

I tried to get the stem bent the same as my old one as the angle I changed mine to was perfect for hanging, I reckon I got it pretty darn close but then that's a real easy bend to do with Ebonite stems, just heat and push, darn things just want to bend that way. I wish I had thought to take a photo of it before I got to work on it, it was a sorry looking thing, if you look carefully at the rustication you can still see where some of the larger damaged surface areas were, especially on the bowl face and heel.

Not too shabby eh.

Nice looking refurb, my first pipe was a similar looking Pete system pipe.

THAT looks as good if not BETTER than one of the factory 'rustications" guy !! And ya did a DAMN NICE job on getting that p-lip turned into a proper bit !! :twisted: :twisted: 

J_Rock":24762qhm said:
Very nice job.   :D 
Thank you Buddy.

Hiram-2011":24762qhm said:
Nice looking refurb, my first pipe was a similar looking Pete system pipe.
Good of you to say, Pete's are a firm favourite of mine.

Brewdude":24762qhm said:
The refurb looks light years better than the original finish!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Thank you my friend, I really do wish I had taken a photo of the pipe itself before I got to work on it, one can still see where some of the worst damage was that I tried to remove with the rustication but in essence even I find it hard to believe it is the same pipe.

monbla256":24762qhm said:
THAT looks as good if not BETTER than one of the factory 'rustications" guy !! And ya did a DAMN NICE job on getting that p-lip turned into a proper bit !! :twisted: :twisted: 
Very kind of you monbla, thank you, I tried to emulate the Pete's factory finish, their rustication is similar but they sand the surface a little to remove the 'peaks' and I rather prefer keeping them so I chose to keep it a little craggy.  :sunny: