New pipe break in

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Some pipes come with a bowl coating to protect the briar and initiate the beginnings of a proper cake. Some pipes have no coating at all and its up to you to leave it natural or to coat the bowl before the first smoke. There are all kinds of recommendations as to filling the first few bowls.

As for my preference and practice I like an uncoated bowl and leave it that way. For the first bowl and all others I just fill the pipe and smoke. I do take it easy as to keep the pipe smoking cool, I try to tamp the ash to the outer edge of the bowl to promote the building of a nice cake.

What's your preference and practice?

As far as bowl coatings go it depends on who created the pipe. I hate the bowl coatings that Peterson uses, or the ones that seem like they have been painted in. I do like the coating that Mike Brissett (pipmaker) uses. As far as break in goes on a new pipe I fill the bowl and smoke it. I try and swirl the left over ash inside the bowl before dumping it out. I have been doing this ever since I started smoking a pipe and it has worked for me.

Pretty much the same Midnight but for the first 3-4 bowls I only pack the bowl about 2/3 and I always make sure I smoke it all the way down. I think sometimes rather than focusing on the cake it is just as important to season the pipe so to speak by trying to keep a steady level of heat throughout the bowl. I feel if you do that and smoke it all the way down the first few times the cake will take care of itself.

Just thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one. But anyone have any thoughts on what blend to use when breaking in a new pipe? Do you use a mild blend? Dedicate a particular blend to the pipe from the get go? And what about type of cut, flake, ribbon etc.

I'm sure everyone has there own take on this and it will be interesting to view the responses.

When breaking in a new pipe, I always fill it completely and smoke it to the very bottom. Then I stir the ashes a little so the fine dust would stick to the chamber walls. After a while, when the pipe has had enough time to cool down, I let the ashes fall out and clean the rest of the pipe, but leave the chamber as it is.

Until now, each new pipe I bought had a carbon/sodium silicate coating and I haven’t encountered any problems with this method, no matter what kind or cut of tobacco I used to break them in.

Normally, I use the blend I want to smoke in a new pipe for breaking it in. So I have my pipes for VA and those for English blends. Two of my pipes have only seen one single blend so far: my Peterson (Irish Flake) and my Jirsa (MB Navy Flake).

bluedigital":117ya05i said:
Just thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one. But anyone have any thoughts on what blend to use when breaking in a new pipe? Do you use a mild blend? Dedicate a particular blend to the pipe from the get go? And what about type of cut, flake, ribbon etc.

I'm sure everyone has there own take on this and it will be interesting to view the responses.
I always suggest that people break in pipes with a blend that smokes easily and well for them, and not hot or wet. My own "generic" break-in tobacco is often Mac Baren Navy Flake because it smokes luke-warm and totally moisture free (for me!).

It depends. Usually, I start with half a bowl or less for the first handful of smokes, but sometimes I fill it all the way to the top too. I do think starting slowly is the most reliable option, though. As to tobacco, sometimes I break it in with the tobacco I intend to smoke in it (as I dedicate my pipes), but when I'm not sure I start with a VA or VA/Per like G.L. Pease Union Square or Fillmore. For English blends, Chelsea Morning is a great first smoke, because of my tendency to smoke it calmly and the light, uncased character of the blend. Davidoff Royalty is light too, but the flavoring is something I would want to avoid in a new pipe.

As Emerson said: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds".

The Same as You MB.
I just load up and smoke, really slow, I try to avoid smoking baccies that burn hot like some VA flakes for the first few bowls.
I have this thing that PA is one of the best lends to break in a pipe, basic burley blend, does not ghost much and seems to do the trick for me!!!
I has started with quarter, then half bowls and so on but have found that it makes little difference to me!!!!

Thanks for the input guys. Due to the limited availability of baccy down south I think I will use some Fox to build up a layer and by then hopefully I'll have some quality baccy to dedicate to the pipe. :)

bluedigital":6gkcu2iu said:
Thanks for the input guys. Due to the limited availability of baccy down south I think I will use some Fox to build up a layer and by then hopefully I'll have some quality baccy to dedicate to the pipe. :)
SHHHHHHH, dont say FOX, there are a couple of okes here who really dig that stuff stukkend!!!

Piet Binsbergen":meb7q8mx said:
bluedigital":meb7q8mx said:
SHHHHHHH, dont say FOX, there are a couple of okes here who really dig that stuff stukkend!!!
Perhaps I can trade with them for some of their "local" weed :pirat:

bluedigital":bc2x0lef said:
Piet Binsbergen":bc2x0lef said:
bluedigital":bc2x0lef said:
Bru, Strongirish is a converted FOX junkie, chat to him!!!
I have shipped out a fare amount to okes here!!!!

Piet Binsbergen":c746gumz said:
bluedigital":c746gumz said:
Piet Binsbergen":c746gumz said:
bluedigital":c746gumz said:
Bru, Strongirish is a converted FOX junkie, chat to him!!!
I have shipped out a fare amount to okes here!!!!
Will do, thanks for the tip :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":49z0cx4h said:
The Same as You MB.
I just load up and smoke, really slow, I try to avoid smoking baccies that burn hot like some VA flakes for the first few bowls.
I have this thing that PA is one of the best lends to break in a pipe, basic burley blend, does not ghost much and seems to do the trick for me!!!
I has started with quarter, then half bowls and so on but have found that it makes little difference to me!!!!
I'll agree with you Piet, PA or sometimes CH is what I use to break my new pipes in. It burns cool, dry and completely in my pipes

I'm no fan of coatings, I won't buy anymore pipes that come coated.

As for breaking-in, I will moisten the inside of the bowl with a little water, then load the bowl with Carter Hall or 5100 and smoke it nice and easy.

New Smoker":tge1ua71 said:
Piet Binsbergen":tge1ua71 said:
The Same as You MB.
I'll agree with you Piet, PA or sometimes CH is what I use to break my new pipes in. It burns cool, dry and completely in my pipes
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: