New Pipe Club Advice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
Not from me but for me. We are starting a Deep South Pipe club here in Jackson, MS. Just wondered if anyone had some advice for how to start it and maintain it.

All serious and smart-ass advice will be heeded.

Step 1: get a pipe
Step 2: get other people with pipes
Step 3: Get together
Step 4: Smoke together
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!!:p 

I enjoy our pipe club. We had a meeting last night with pretty good attendance. We have a core group of 6 regulars and we have a bunch of college students that come and go. We're near an army base and had a few guys attend. We are struggling with keeping our host shop happy with the till to stay open for us. I don't know if we'll survive but I hope so. :shock: 

Blue Max

You might want to pm dpkrause. He started a pipe club in Chattanooga,TN and it looks like it's been very successful.

Look in the "Community In Action" sub-forum for his threads.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Make sure everyone wears matching blazers with an embroidered club crest and everyone MUST wear a fez to each meeting. Wouldn't be a pipe club without those two things....:p

Brewdude":das8kh39 said:
You might want to pm dpkrause. He started a pipe club in Chattanooga,TN and it looks like it's been very successful.
Did that and read the article the link went to. I've also been to several web sites including the UPCA to get some ideas. Our first meeting is next Tuesday. I'll take pictures and post with a recap.

Thanks to all who responded!

Since it's the deep south, provide moonshine and/or bourbon, sweet tea (not the instant crap), and make pipes kind of a side-show at first. Take a few donations eventually (that'll discourage freeloaders). Keep it small. Make it monthly. Pot luck once in a while.

Basically, I'm just describing a pipe club that I'd attend. :lol:

A reliable and stable meeting place is key. Once that is secured, to coin a phrase, if you build it they will come. Seriously, just advertise locally (local papers), on the forums and at your B&M if you have one and you should be golden. There will always be periods of feast and famine so be prepared. I always think to myself on the way to a meeting, "it's gonna be me and the waitress" and yet I am always pleasantly surprised. Nothing warms the heart of the president more than when he thinks that and then looks over the crowd that has once again gathered to share in our great passion at a pipe club meeting!

Be persistent, gather a dedicated few around you and you should have the basics for success.

All the best to you,

Lou

Don't the pipe club fellas in the Sacramento area just meet at one guy's house?

That'd be just as good!

8)

skaukatt, thanks for that bit of advice. I used to get discouraged when I would create an event and only a few people would attend. Then one of the attendees said to me that HE came to the event and HE didn't appreciate me focusing on who WASN'T there. After that i was glad when even one person showed up. It's nice to be reminded of that, so thanks, I'll be sure to remember that.

Kyle, the manager of the store is a 28-year-old guy who has a really cool house with a big front porch that would be great but I think he wants the club to be separate from the shop so we are looking for restaurants with patios since we can meet all winter outside down here. It's the summers that we have to come inside. So far 2 have offered us their patios so I think it will all work out.

We are meeting Tuesday night at the Country Squire to discuss everything. I'll let you guys know how it goes.