New pipe rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I like large pipes, but the commercially available pipe racks I've found don't seem to be keyed to the sizes and shapes I prefer.  I got tired of my pipes banging into each other, turned sideways in the rack, one falling out when I moved one next to it, etc., so I decided to rectify the situation.  Now I'm not a woodworker let alone a furniture maker so it ain't perfect by any means, but this was strictly a form-follows-function project.  A little half-inch lumber from Home Depot, a table saw and a drill press, and my pipes have a new home...

Before...

4B42Gakl.jpg

After...

gGSTS8ol.jpg

Wow! Impressive. Good man ... you've got every peg filled with a pipe! 8)

Very good work on that rack! I've been thinking about building a pipe cabinet as I have a cabinet with the same problem as your rack, everything a bit close. If you don't mind my asking, what is your center-to-center measurement on your pipe rests?

I went 2"; probably could have gotten by with a little less.  I was trying to hold the length down as much as I could because I wanted to put it in the same spot on the top of my roll-top desk and it's kind of crowded up there, but I also wanted to make sure there was enough room that I didn't have to worry about what went next to what. I laid out several of my largest pipes and 2" seemed to work well.  It added about 3" to the length of the rack but I saved a little by using flat sides as opposed to the posts on the original.

Thanks! I think the 2" makes perfect sense; no reason to crowd the pipes. I'm thinking I'll build a 40 pipe cabinet rather than a 48, that should compensate for most of the additional width without making the overall width too ungainly. Or, I could add an extra rack and make it a 50 pipe cabinet - that probably makes the most sense. My Social, Menu, and Financial Advisor will see the empty slots and realize I need more pipes. Or, maybe not.

kxg":cyvzit11 said:
Thanks!  I think the 2" makes perfect sense; no reason to crowd the pipes.  I'm thinking I'll build a 40 pipe cabinet rather than a 48, that should compensate for most of the additional width without making the overall width too ungainly.  Or, I could add an extra rack and make it a 50 pipe cabinet - that probably makes the most sense.  My Social, Menu, and Financial Advisor will see the empty slots and realize I need more pipes.  Or, maybe not.
I used to try that with my gun rack but it never seemed to work :D !

I used a bit for mortising recessed hinges, making the hole the same size as the width of the grooves in the original rack. It makes a round hole as opposed to an oblong one of course, but I find that it holds all the shapes quite well, and at least as well as the original rack.

rnfKZ5xm.jpg

boU65QEm.jpg

I used a bit for mortising recessed hinges, making the hole the same size as the width of the grooves in the original rack. It makes a round hole as opposed to an oblong one of course, but I find that it holds all the shapes quite well, and at least as well as the original rack.

rnfKZ5xm.jpg

boU65QEm.jpg
Thanks for the information.