New project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAW

Reaction score
Waiting for the wax to finish the first project I started another Salvatella, this time a 405 (I got a lot of four in very bad shape just to have a few ones to practice some restorations skills/techniques).
I already glued the crack in the shank cause by a too tight tenon and very thin shank walls, but I really do not like the color scheme or the combination of textures.
I decided to rusticate it and dying it in a dark tone, but after some sanding I give a quick polish and the bare finish started to talked to me, I am not sure what is coming next with this project yet but I would like your comments.

Thanks

img_20190818_174113-450x600.jpg" style="width: 800px;height: 900px

img_20190818_191549-450x600.jpg" style="width: 800px;height: 800px

Sneak peak

A couple of pictures of the evolving project, this time rusticated

salvatella-aa2-600x331.jpg

salvatella-aa1-505x600.jpg

Light does not help to the true color but is more like in the first picture.

What do you guys think?

Blackhorse":47g29ypb said:
Excellent.  Rustication is NOT an easy thing to pull off well and yours is lookin’ good.
You are complete right about ¨NOT an easy thing¨ at first I thought this project could be a piece of cake, how difficult could be ruin a pipe I mean, no even surfaces or lines to keep just scratching the thing, but as soon as I started I realized it will going to be harder than I originally thought, try to keep pattern looks random was the most difficult part.
At one particular moment I thought I ruined it but things turn out not too bad, I wish I could achieve a more fine rustication like the pipe in the pics you upload.
I had some moves I may try to see If I can reach a better result, at least to my taste but I am risking the whole thing. I going to take a couple of days off and return with a fresh aproach to see what happens.
Blackhorse thanks for your comments and for be so polite, there is a lot to improve here from my point of view but at the end I will get three things from this project a resucitated pipe, some knowledge and a lot of fun.