New Snuff Grinder (Snuff Making Thread)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Decided to make my own Snuff. Looked up some basics on uTube to discover that the basics appear quite, um...basic. Grind up tobacco really fine. It's just that simple. But after that, the deal gets just a bit tougher, or at least more complex. What goes with what and with what condiments, etc.

So I HAVE got tobacco. That's step one.

Step two...a dedicated high speed blade grinder.  I buy green coffee from Sweet Maria's, have for years, trust them completely in all regards. They have ONE blade grinder they sell. Made by Nesco. Has a removable stainless steel cup...does a half cup...sounds good.

But Sweet Maria's wants $20 plus $9 shipping. I found it at Walmart online for $13 and they will ship it to a local store for free where I can drop by to pick it up. Works for me.

60157839-de4a-4476-a82c-b6f219b7af2b_1.52b6027ab10cd2daafe5ed570993dcef.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/22231625

So now I'll go in search of some recipes!  If you know of any, post 'em here. I'll weed out ones I can't do perhaps...we'll see. But anything with give me some guidance, so thanks in advance, etc.

Wow! Turned a batch of Ozzie's Pebble Castle into a coarse Schmazsler-like Snuff.

Tobacco coarse ground in my new blade grinder, seived, then mixed with appropriate portions of filtered water, salt and sodium carbonate.

Very Red VA in aroma with a seemingly healthy dose of Vitamin N.

Nice.

This is gonna be fun!

Blackhorse":81esnluu said:
Wow!  Turned a batch of Ozzie's Pebble Castle into a coarse Schmazsler-like Snuff.

Tobacco coarse ground in my new blade grinder, seived, then mixed with appropriate portions of filtered water, salt and sodium carbonate.

Very Red VA in aroma with a seemingly healthy dose of Vitamin N.

Nice.

This is gonna be fun!
Very cool! Is it kind of strong?

Blackhorse":yj3j0y2u said:
Thanks for the second link. I make a pipe restoring/polishing compound that works wonders on getting rid of the oxidation and actually goes into the vulcanite and nullifies the sulfur. I treated all my pipes six years ago and there's still not a sign of oxidation anywhere. One of the ingredients is sodium carbonate. Now, thanks to you I have an easy way to get it. If only the other four ingredients were so easy to make.

The directions I found via a one minute Google search. It was one of those "how to make X" things. Very easy to find.

My recipe called for 200F for an hour. Another guy here wrote he uses a 400F for an hour protocol.

So when I did the actual process I used 300F. lol