New watch added to arsenal.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Casio Pro Trek 6000 on my wrist.  It’s about 5 years old.  It’s solar powered and is accurate to zero error...so long as the atomic clock in Colorado broadcasts the exact time every day.  Yup, the watch receives the signal nightly and adjusts for any error.  Cool.  It also reads temperature, bearing, altitude and barometric pressure...plus the usual stopwatch, timer, etc., etc. stuff.  Add a carbon fiber band and end up with a pretty high tech item.

Maybe too high tech.  I never hardly use half the stuff.  So I just had the opportunity to get another watch...and I ended up by going in the opposite direction.  

The new one is a Seiko PROSPEX Diver SRPD23.  The case design is called a Samurai...chunky, blocky look...whatever.  The face is BLUE...some Special Edition Save the Ocean thing where a percentage of profit goes to a Cousteau Foundation thing.  All Seiko divers have nicknames and this one is the Great White.  WooHooo!  It’s big, very heavy, automatic (self winding) and shows time and the date.  It’s reputation if for being accurate and tough as nails.  I used to have a big Omega Seamaster diver that I liked quite a bit.  This has the same kid of vibe...but for a tenth of the cost.

Pics of old & new. I just got the photo posting thing to work after it being “gone” for about a week. So sorry about the photo sizes but at this point I’ll take it.

Hey Mr BH,

It appears we have similar tastes!  

I have a much loved Seiko 5 which has been a daily wear for the past 15 or so years and more recently I've taken a trip down memory lane and bought a digital Casio, this one being a classic G Shock 'square' with much of the tech you've just described in yours; atomic clock sync, solar and 200m water resistance.  I like that fact that no matter what I throw at it it's bomb proof and the 200m gives an added sense of security.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001414NT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With my memories rekindled I also bought a Casio for my young teenage son to replace another watch that had given up the ghost.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist (hence the Seiko) and this has worn off on the lad a bit so bought him a little divers jobber.  I paid under £15 for this which is a blinding price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0073TTHBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your Seiko should have a screw down crown, being 200m water resistant?

Horse, nice watch. I have the casio mud master with pretty much the same except no altitude, which raised the price by $200
Again, pretty much bullet proof and WR to 2 atmospheres, 666 ft. But my fav dive watch is my seiko orange monster
At 200 ft. it's like having a flashlight in your face. Auto and also good to 666 ft.

Hey Mr BH,

It appears we have similar tastes!

I have a much loved Seiko 5 which has been a daily wear for the past 15 or so years and more recently I've taken a trip down memory lane and bought a digital Casio, this one being a classic G Shock 'square' with much of the tech you've just described in yours; atomic clock sync, solar and 200m water resistance. I like that fact that no matter what I throw at it it's bomb proof and the 200m gives an added sense of security.

Casio GW-M5610-1ER G-SHOCK Men's Digital Quartz Watch with Rubber Strap: Casio: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

With my memories rekindled I also bought a Casio for my young teenage son to replace another watch that had given up the ghost. I'm a bit of a traditionalist (hence the Seiko) and this has worn off on the lad a bit so bought him a little divers jobber. I paid under £15 for this which is a blinding price.

Casio Collection Men's Watch MRW-200H-1BVES: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

Your Seiko should have a screw down crown, being 200m water resistant?
Stick, have about 40 watches, but my everyday wear is am Invicta sea dweller. Looks exactly like a rolex submariner except it is 48 mm vs. 42 for the Rolex. I like bigger watches with large bands (28mm) so they don't pinch my fat wrists. 18.years now and still ticking like a timex, lol.

Stick, have about 40 watches, but my everyday wear is am Invicta sea dweller. Looks exactly like a rolex submariner except it is 48 mm vs. 42 for the Rolex. I like bigger watches with large bands (28mm) so they don't pinch my fat wrists. 18.years now and still ticking like a timex, lol.
That’s a lot of watches. I wonder when a watch becomes a ‘timepiece’?

During my last trip home my father produced my brother’s little Timex from when we were kids. It’s a bout 45 years old now, never had anything done to it and it still runs and keeps good time!

Good question. Cars are considered "classic" at 25 years, but I have several watches older than that. When I was very young, in my teens, I inherited my favorite uncles "sunday" watch as he had no children. It was a gold Hamilton dress watch. Wore it for several years on special occasions. Don't really know what ever happened to it. Probably got lost in one of several moves after I left home. I do think the Hamilton railroad watch that was his EDC qualifies as a timepiece. Still have it and closest I have been able to date it is late 1800s. Over a hundred years old, still runs, and if I remember to wind it only loses about a minute in 2 days. Works better than I do, lol.

I still have the watch my mom bought me at Zell Brothers in downtown Portland...on my 16th birthday. Without looking, I think it’s a Tudor Lakemaster?...automatic,,,Swiss movement. Since I just turned 73...that makes it 60 years old. Wow.

I currently have a Casio Pro Trek 6000 on my wrist. It’s about 5 years old. It’s solar powered and is accurate to zero error...so long as the atomic clock in Colorado broadcasts the exact time every day. Yup, the watch receives the signal nightly and adjusts for any error. Cool. It also reads temperature, bearing, altitude and barometric pressure...plus the usual stopwatch, timer, etc., etc. stuff. Add a carbon fiber band and end up with a pretty high tech item.

Maybe too high tech. I never hardly use half the stuff. So I just had the opportunity to get another watch...and I ended up by going in the opposite direction.

The new one is a Seiko PROSPEX Diver SRPD23. The case design is called a Samurai...chunky, blocky look...whatever. The face is BLUE...some Special Edition Save the Ocean thing where a percentage of profit goes to a Cousteau Foundation thing. All Seiko divers have nicknames and this one is the Great White. WooHooo! It’s big, very heavy, automatic (self winding) and shows time and the date. It’s reputation if for being accurate and tough as nails. I used to have a big Omega Seamaster diver that I liked quite a bit. This has the same kid of vibe...but for a tenth of the cost.

Pics of old & new. I just got the photo posting thing to work after it being “gone” for about a week. So sorry about the photo sizes but at this point I’ll take it.

I have that same Seiko Samurai, Blackhorse. The blue face is really attractive and catches the light differently at different times making it more dynamic. I also have the same watch with an Orange face and black bezel. Great watches. Substantial size, but they still sit nicely on the wrist due to the shorter lug-to-lug width.

Cool. It’s one of the very very few watches that came with a band large enough for my wrist. On another, more bizarre note, the “great white” samurai with the blue face never made it here in the mail. Two weeks after shipping it was nowhere to be found...so Amazon credited my bank account and I re-did the order. This time I went with the iconic black face. The price I eventually found was substantially lower than the blue. I really like it...goes with everything. A great watch. I’m well pleased.

Horse. i am sure you will like it. Seiko makes a very good watch. Had an aviator version, similar to the rolex GMT that I bought in Japan while in service back in 68. Think I paid maybe 65 bucks for it. Got knocked off my wrist in a motorcycle accident in 1985. Never found it. To replace it would have been over $500. So went with the Invicta instead and it's still ticking away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-07-11-53-08.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-07-11-53-08.png
    616.1 KB · Views: 124
I still have the watch my mom bought me at Zell Brothers in downtown Portland...on my 16th birthday. Without looking, I think it’s a Tudor Lakemaster?...automatic,,,Swiss movement. Since I just turned 73...that makes it 60 years old. Wow.
Nice! One to treasure.