New Year's Resolution

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
In May, it's my brother's 81st birthday and he and his wife's 50th Wedding Anniversary. His daughter, a Houston heart surgeon, is throwing a party for each event. I told my older daughter that I'll foot the bill, but I want her to make flight, hotel, and car reservations for me, my younger daughter, her husband and three kids, plus, of course, she and her husband. At this moment, I don't think I have the physical strength, patience, and mental resolve to deal with the trip. My resolution for 2022 is to get my physical and mental health in fabulous shape so that when May approaches, I become eager to make the trip.

Researching and making all the arrangements for something like that is absolutely the worst part of the whole thing. I wouldn't have the patience for it myself.

Cheers,

RR

Researching and making all the arrangements for something like that is absolutely the worst part of the whole thing. I wouldn't have the patience for it myself.
Cheers, RR
My older daughter actually enjoys the challenge of getting good deals.

I enjoy planning trips. It's kind of fun for me. Problem is for the last two years every place we wanted to go was shut down by Covid and wife was leery about travel. As a retired nurse she didn't think we should go anyplace wherr there was a huge chance of exposure.

My late sister's husband (85) phoned my daughter and said to include him in the travel plans. Not much I can say about the risks, but he has Crohn's Disease and an impaired immune system. My daughter has rented a 4-bedroom house for the trip. Now, she's shopping for flights. I'm concerned more about car rental than flights. The flights will happen, but I'm told it can be difficult getting rental cars.

Last edited:
Doing the research and making the plan would be a favorite part.
The anxiety leading up to going is the worst.
Doing the trip itself is fine.
My car is best, airports are nasty, trains are great.
Getting home afterwards is the best.

But hey, if you don’t like other passenger’s stinky feet…

You can always just get off!

3611797E-89DF-43AC-8831-51790ED75F31.jpeg

41D6BF63-4306-42DA-B01B-68C9F14D7E68.jpeg

My brother and his wife are on the road, driving to Houston, as I'm typing. They're nutty. They've rented a condo for January through March, then driving back to MN to spend April, then flying back to Houston in May for the celebration. I asked my brother why they just don't stay in Houston through the festivities. "I suppose we should have rented the condo for another month." His daughter's house is quite large and has guest bedrooms. My gut level feeling is that they'll stay in Houston at the daughter's house after the lease on the condo expires. My brother had major spinal surgery last February and walks with a cane. MN's winter has already been very difficult for him.

Last edited: