New Year's Traditions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
I have been listening to the Road House this morning and the dj mentioned that in Louisianna eating black-eye peas on New Year's Day is supposed to bring good luck.

My wife and I are planning a quiet dinner together.

I'll likely be :sleep: :sleep: by the time the clock hits midnight.

:D Paul

Slow puffs
My Mother cooks blackeye peas (for good luck), cabbage(for money or wealth), hog jowl(I can't remember what it is for) and a couple of other things(that I cant remember) every New Years Day. The only thing I can tell it has brought me is high blood pressure and high chloresterol(sp).

Happy New Years Everyone

Someone told me just the other day about the black-eyed peas and good luck here in TN. I asked how many needed to be eaten, but a sure answer wasn't given.

showme

In NC black eyed peas on New Year's Day are supposed to bring good luck.

I was born and raised in California and the hamhocks and black-eyed peas has been a tradition in our family since I can remember. When I married I inherited the tradition (from her father) of drinking a shot of Polish Brandy which I think is called Slevowitch (spelling) which is the most god awful stuff I have every tasted. Thankfully I only have to drink it once a year.

showme1or2":riqc4mza said:
Someone told me just the other day about the black-eyed peas and good luck here in TN. I asked how many needed to be eaten, but a sure answer wasn't given.

showme
A gluttonous proportion, :lol: or at least that's how my family sees it. There's many more New Year's traditions here in TN, see eggman's post. Some more seem to involve, drinking and driving, drinking and fighting, and so forth, crazy people, just be careful if you're out driving. :pipe:

Hamhocks, blackeyed peas and turnip greens here in NC. I believe it is a national thing based on what everyone is saying.

I picked up a whole leg of lamb this evening though, so I will be breaking tradition.

Even' All, I gave my Wife Mary a hug and kiss and told her I loved and needed her, Ken.
Pacem en New Year! :king:

pipetongue1":tbh1w4y8 said:
Even' All, I gave my Wife Mary a hug and kiss and told her I loved and needed her, Ken.
Pacem en New Year! :king:
Jonnie and I celebrated our 40th on Dec 17th.

Odd time of the year to get married? Our premature daughter was born the following June.

:lol!:

mdmiller5":m7ykx98x said:
I was born and raised in California and the hamhocks and black-eyed peas has been a tradition in our family since I can remember. When I married I inherited the tradition (from her father) of drinking a shot of Polish Brandy which I think is called Slevowitch (spelling) which is the most god awful stuff I have every tasted. Thankfully I only have to drink it once a year.
Actually, the drink is "slivovitz", distilled from plums or grape must. Kerosene tastes better and burns less going down. Our family has a melting pot of Eastern European traditions. My mother was Croatian/Slovenian/Romany and my father was Polish. My wife's parents were Polish and White Russian. The only consistent elements are pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day, which we happily ate. Now, we also live in South Philadelphia, an enclave of excess and 19th century traditions. In our community, there is making a traditional pot of soup, like 30 quarts of soup, a South Philadelphia tradition for the new year. As the story is explained, in South Phila during and after the Mummer's parade, mummers can come in and be offered soup and bread, again for good luck. It would be poor form to deny any one a meal. Now, it's just commonplace where we live to have an open door to the neighbors. Since both of my sons are mummers, there's always someone coming in, in their costumes. the traditional soup was pepperpot, but since no one is desirous of eating both ox-tails and tripe in the pot, the fare these days tends to vegetable beef.

somehow I missed this thread.... Odd time of year to get married? Nay... The Mrs and I celebrate every Jan 1st as another year of her not killing me. Long story short, I wanted to marry her long before New Years day, She realized we could beat the IRS man out of several grand that year by waiting. I agreed if she'd compromise on an informal wedding, we got married in her Moms livin room, without shoes, by the Deputy Sheriff who was ordained so he could hold chapel at the jail(I thought her mom was gonna kill me when she realized that) Question her sanity for hitchin her cart to me, but dont ever question her taxcode savvy...lol..

Oh yeah We broke alot of traditions today. We had chilidogs and frenchfries.

Corned beef and cabbage in the form of Reuben sandwiches,third year in a row.New tradition,just because we can!Canned doublestuffed ravioli for my punks.Next year,they eat Reubens,too!
Happy New Year to all!
Tony

morleysson":7bbck8rm said:
mdmiller5":7bbck8rm said:
Actually, the drink is "slivovitz", distilled from plums or grape must. Kerosene tastes better and burns less going down. Our family has a melting pot of Eastern European traditions. My mother was Croatian/Slovenian/Romany and my father was Polish. My wife's parents were Polish and White Russian.
Bob,

You sound like the same kind of melting pot of a family like my wife. She is second generation Italian, Sicilian, Hungarian and Jewish. There big meal tradition is on Christmas Eve with Fettucini Alfredo and sausages.

Me, well I am red blooded American through and through......literally as my Grandfather on my father's side was Full blooded Eastern Band Cherokee and my mother's side settled in Randolph County, NC Pre-Revolutionary War. I call Randolph County home. Hamhocks and turnip greens!