New York Cigarette Tax Hike

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
Starting today, New York almost doubles its cigarette tax to a stunning $2.75 per pack. With NYC's municipal cigarette tax, that comes to $4.25 rendered unto Caesar--a more than 100% markup.

I have no love for cigarettes, save the occasional Turkish Oval in a briar filter, but this is ridiculous, and the injury trickles down to the pipe smoker. Certainly, it turns the screws on dedicated, small tobacconists; regular one-pack sales are their meat-and-potatoes. Further down the line, it's not hard to imagine a crackdown on any kind of tobacco-by-mail purchase, to prevent arbitrage. Given the history of government meddling in "vice," I can certainly see perfectly legal pipe tobacco shipments getting caught in some wide net of "tax enforcement." Not to mention that cigarettes are a kind of bellwether for other so-called "sin taxes" and regulations. I can just hear Mayor Bloomberg standing in front of the press lectern, smirking as he says, "We are pleased to finally close the loophole that allowed loose tobacco to be sold at a far lower tax rate." That thought makes my teeth itch.

Is it legal in the USA to purchase tobacco from other States? In Canada, it is not legal for cross province sales. The main target of the fed's here is to try to stop First Nation reserves from selling and shipping to the general public.

The blackmarket folks will just love this!!! Stock up while you may...this tax "thing" could get ugly!!

Slow Puffs....Pipe tobacco and cigars, yes! Ciggy's; no!! FTRPLT

We can purchase across state lines, but the regs on originating and destination states I'm pretty foggy on.Taxes in some places may be a pain. In Idaho it doesn't come into play.

Bd

Never Forget!

According to Noble Villeneuve, the Ontario MPP for the riding of Stormont-Dundas — Glengarry and East Grenville, many citizens report seeing cigarette boats mounted with belt-fed machine guns. When docked at the riverside in daytime, some of the cigarette boats the St. Regis river sport heavy pintle mounts that could support a machine gun — but these are often dismissed as supports for fishing equipment. One former Warrior-leader indicated that the Society had six M-60 machine guns in Akwesasne before the Oka Crisis. Some Canada Customs officers say they have seen natives (presumably Oneida Peacekeepers) wearing body armour and carrying assault rifles at the Walpole Island Reserve near Windsor.
This was in the early 90's when Canada really started hiking the taxes.

A couple of the folks I work with are of the opinion that tobacco should be taxed into oblivion. The result of course is that all us dim-witted smokers would be forced to give it up and take better care of ourselves. The rub is that these folks are self proclaimed wine and beer "experts". This begs the question of where do they think the various government folks are going to look to replace that lost revenue? A tax increase on a variety of bottled beverages perhaps?

A few of my co-workers are not known for long range planning skills. :scratch:

They will start to figure it out when the "Tax Nazis" decide that if you can afford to drink good wine and beer, then you can afford to pay a whole bunch more taxes to do it! They never learn!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":46ja489k said:
They will start to figure it out when the "Tax Nazis" decide that if you can afford to drink good wine and beer, then you can afford to pay a whole bunch more taxes to do it! They never learn!! FTRPLT
I think it would be better to say as the voting public of American citizens that we never learn. We as American citizens are the ones that keep allowing the politicians to run all over us.