New York raising age to buy cigarettes to 21

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bloomberg's nazi/nanny administration marches on.

The legal age for buying tobacco, including cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos will rise to 21, from 18, under a bill adopted by the City Council and which Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has said he would sign. The new minimum age will take effect six months after signing.

The proposal provoked some protest among people who pointed out that New Yorkers under 21 can drive, vote and fight in wars, and should be considered mature enough to decide whether to buy cigarettes. But the Bloomberg administration’s argument — that raising the age to buy cigarettes would discourage people from becoming addicted in the first place — won the day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/31/nyregion/new-york-approves-law-to-raise-tobacco-purchasing-age-to-21.html?_r=2&

No Cheers,

RR

nonono2.gif

I'm actually kind of OK with this because it may have kept me from getting addicted to cigarettes and wouldn't have stopped me from picking up a pipe.

They'll find a way to get cigarettes anyways, I suppose, and I shouldn't take my poor choices out on others, but I sure wish I could go back in time and kick my own ass before passing my past-self a pipe for ever picking up a pack of butts.  Imagine I would have gotten the desire to try them out of my system one way or another, though.