Newbe in Tokyo, Japan...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean73

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Originally from Chicago, now living in Tokyo.

This looks like a fun place to learn more about one of my favorite hobbies...

I love forward to chatting with everyone.

Dean

Welcome to a great forum of fellow pipesters, Dean73! Are there tobacco shops in Tokyo? Smoking laws? Good tobacco? Is a fellow smoking a pipe fairly common? Give us a report on the Japanese tobacco scene...

looking forward to your input and views ,,,I have a yen to hear about the various tobaccos over there,,,,,don't be afraid to pipe up and inform us,,,,,,welcome

Trout Bum":zyflzmus said:
Welcome to a great forum of fellow pipesters, Dean73! Are there tobacco shops in Tokyo? Smoking laws? Good tobacco? Is a fellow smoking a pipe fairly common? Give us a report on the Japanese tobacco scene...
To answer Trout Burn's question...

So far I have been looking for a good tabacco shop here in Tokyo and have not found one. I know there is a cigar shop a few train stops from the office I work at on Wedesdays, but have not had a chance to go there. A lot of people smoke here, so I can smoke in restaurants and pretty much anywhere I want. The anti-tabacco Nazis have not got much of a foothold here yet.

As far as pipe smokers go, I have not seen any yet. I know there are some out there, but I have not run into them. I would like to meet one to find out where they get their tabacco. (Cigaretts are the prefered smoke in Japan.)

I recently discovered Boswells Pipe and Tabacco online and have ordered a couple of new pipes and some of their tabacco. I like Boswell's Best and Penn. Dutch Treat so far. I did not care for their Burley, but I don't think that has anything to do with the quality of the blend, but more with my tastes. (I have not tried much besides aromatics, but I want to see what else is out there!!!!)

I used to get all of my tabacco from Tinderbox because it was close to my house in Chicago, but after visiting a few forums and websites I have discovered that I had only seen the tip of the iceburg, so to speak. I want to try more tabaccos and possibly a bit of English tabacco. I am open to all suggestions...

Good morning and welcome. There are some really hot pipe makers in Japan who have been reviewed in Pipes and Tobacco magazine. I have a Tsuge on the way that I'm really looking forward to getting. May I suggest you try www.smokinigpipes.com for your tobacco experiments. They have a good selection and reasonable prices.
Again, welcome to the BoB. :pipe:

Dean73,

Thanks for giving us an update on the Tokyo pipe scene.... I live in rural Colorado, in a town of 5,000. No pipe smokers around that I know of. On the three occasions (in the last two years) that I have seen someone with a pipe, I went right up to them and started with, "So, I see you smoke a pipe..." On all three accasions, I met great people and walked away with a sample of whatever they were smoking. (They were all tourists, by the way) So if you see someone over there with a pipe, just go right on up!

Boswell makes great pipes, great tobacco. He makes several English blends as well, I believe. Have fun and keep us posted!

-- Trout Bum

dean73":cxlksg9a said:
Hello Everyone!

Originally from Chicago, now living in Tokyo.

This looks like a fun place to learn more about one of my favorite hobbies...

I love forward to chatting with everyone.

Dean
Welcome Dean !!