Newbie on board

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello to all,
I'm new here, I've been reading previous post's with great interest so thought I would sign up to maybe put in my two cents worth on occasion. I learned about your Forum from Mark Tinskey's web site while ordering a Coral Rhodesian this summer. I don't have a big collection of pipes but hope to keep it growing (w/ Mark's works I hope).
I started smoking a pipe while still a teen (25 yrs ago), my best friend and I would buy corn cob pipes and a pouch of Sir Walter or Capt. Black and sit on my brothers front porch puffing away. I moved on to cigars and cigerettes on occasion but keep coming back to pipes, usually the drug store Dr. Grabows. This year in my latest pipe phase I have been aquireing better quality pipes with the Tinskey coming late this summer. I've got my eye on an Author that he has listed and found the thread about Authors etc very interesting.
Keep up the great discussions,
EJ

From one Va native to another I welcome you. Where abouts in VA. Originally from Colonial Heights.

Bubba,
I'm from Riner which is about 20 mi. south of Blacksburg, VA home of Va Tech. I work in Blacksburg, along with most other folks in this region. Riner is very rural, I live with my wife and two kids on a 20 acre tract that was part of my grandparents 110 ac farm. My wife came from VA Beach, she loved the mountains so much she married a hillbilly.
Good luck over there, and come back safe.
EJ

Very nice. I've been a Hokie fan since I can remember. Just wish they would pick it up this year.

Welcome aboard, EJ! I just recently joined this site too.. It's a great forum as well as a fun community. I live in rural Colorado, no tobacco shops, and I don't know any other pipe smokers... This is a great place to not only learn more about our hobby, but has also been a fun way to just BS about the joys of smoking a tobacco pipe. As a matter of fact, I believe it is now time for a friendly Sunday morning pipe of University Flake!

-- Trout Bum

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
I'm really enjoying reading all the advice on pipes etc.
Am also enjoying all the political commentary in the rubber room. :tongue:
To all those considering joining, come on in the baccy's fine and the conversations stimulating. :bounce:

EJinVA":0ys361qb said:
Bubba,
I'm from Riner which is about 20 mi. south of Blacksburg, VA home of Va Tech. I work in Blacksburg, along with most other folks in this region. Riner is very rural, I live with my wife and two kids on a 20 acre tract that was part of my grandparents 110 ac farm. My wife came from VA Beach, she loved the mountains so much she married a hillbilly.
Good luck over there, and come back safe.
EJ
EJ,

My Father was a Hoakie. Born and raised in Galax, VA. I lived in Galax for a while when I was small. I usually go to the Fiddler's Convention there every August. Been going since I was about 5 years old. My grandmother played claw-hammer style banjo. I play guitar, not good but I try anyway. I use to visit Blacksburg with my dad from time to time. Very nice area up there!

JP,
From what I read in the rubber room you probably wouldn't want to live in Blacksburg; It's pretty much a liberal island in this region. The University tends to rule & run the county (Montgomery) that's why I commute from the countryside (aside from the fact that I can't afford to live in Blacksburg). I usually pull for the Hokies when they play football but I refuse to buy the uniform (Hokie flags, stickers, shirts, coats, hats, shoes, socks,gloves, & now even vehicles available at local dealerships). Anyway, I've digressed, it is a good area to live; fresh mountain air, the New River watershed, good schools, easy access to many other areas with interstate 81 splitting the county. I've been to the Fiddlers convention once for one day, We sometimes ride up to Floyd County, which has mountain music at several venues every friday night.

EJ,

I think all college towns are ultra liberal now a days. I am surrounded by them with UNC 20 miles in one direction and Duke 20 miles in the other direction. NCSU is less than ten miles from me not to mention all of the other little colleges around here. I am smack dab in the middle of liberal academia!