Newbie smoker from FL

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nparad

Reaction score
Hey all, I just got into pipe smoking a few months ago, and I have to say, despite all the troubles I've run into (from the extreme disapproval of my mom, to trying to cure my chronic wet smoking) I've found the non-troublesome parts to be well worth it.

As a little background about myself, I'm a senior in high school, looking forward to going to college in Central Florida very soon for Business Administration, and then eventually open a tobacconist's somewhere or other.

I'd also, besides introducing myself, like to ask for some advice in fixing my "wet smoking" problem, at least I think that's what you would call it.
Sometimes i'll be sitting on my porch, puffing away while reading a book, when all of a sudden I get a mouthful (at least it FEELS like a mouthful, it's actually much less than that, a few drops at the most, but no less unpleasant) of disgusting liquid, which leaves a taste in my mouth I can only describe as bitter in the extreme and somewhat spicy.

If it helps, my pipe is a small, 1/8 bent apple shape, and I smoke either University Flake, Captain Black, or other aromatics of varying quality (all the way from "butt" to "vanilla-esque"(if you'd never tasted or heard of vanilla before).

Regards,
Nparad

Welcome to the forum, Nparad.
I'm sure you'll get a flood of advice on that little problem of yours, so here's a handy checklist to keep things straight:
1. slow down your smoking.
2. make sure you're not tipping the pipe back, then slow down your smoking.
3. slow down your smoking
4. at the first hint of a gurgle, run a pipe cleaner down the stem, then slow down your smoking.
5. slow down your smoking.
6. let your tobacco dry out a bit before packing, then smoke it slowly. I'm quite fond of U-Flake, but I let it breathe for a good half hour before smoking it. Slowly.
7. slow down your smoking.
8. consider trying a non-aromatic. Those aros burn hot and wet, even when smoked slowly.
9. can you guess what #9 is? That's right! SLOW DOWN YOUR SMOKING. :D
Seriously, buddy, I'm not trying to be a smartarse, but you'll hear the same thing from everyone. learn to sip at the pipe instead of puffing it, gently coaxing the smoke out. Don't worry about re-lighting. The perfectly lit pipe is one that's always on the verge of going out.
So relax, enjoy your new hobby, learn from the brothers, and most importantly, slow down your smoking. :p

George Kaplan":tbchvnkb said:
6. let your tobacco dry out a bit before packing, then smoke it slowly. I'm quite fond of U-Flake, but I let it breathe for a good half hour before smoking it. Slowly.
I would also suggest packing the pipe a bit less tight than you think you need too. Tight pack equals poor draw which equals wet smoke that's difficult to keep lit. Pack loose and if it's too loose you can always tamp down a bit; you can't fix a tight pack mid smoke, however.

Also, welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here

Thanks for your warm welcome! I lit up a bowl of University Flake earlier, which I had packed yesterday and sat out to dry, and while I had trouble keeping it lit, I didn't hear even the faintest gurgle. I never thought about drying the tobacco before, but now that I know, I'll be sure to leave a pipeful setting out to dry in the mornings, so I can just pack it and go when I get home.

Nparad":no9azwdf said:
I never thought about drying the tobacco before, but now that I know, I'll be sure to leave a pipeful setting out to dry in the mornings, so I can just pack it and go when I get home.
:cheers: Congratulations! You just discovered DGT, or Delayed Gratification Technique. It's a fairly common practice. If you like, you can even give it a charring light, tamp it out, and it'll be ready to go the second you walk in door.
Sorry if I came off like a d-bag earlier with the "slow smoking" thing.

George Kaplan":uc8deyfw said:
Nparad":uc8deyfw said:
I never thought about drying the tobacco before, but now that I know, I'll be sure to leave a pipeful setting out to dry in the mornings, so I can just pack it and go when I get home.
:cheers: Congratulations! You just discovered DGT, or Delayed Gratification Technique. It's a fairly common practice. If you like, you can even give it a charring light, tamp it out, and it'll be ready to go the second you walk in door.
Sorry if I came off like a d-bag earlier with the "slow smoking" thing.
Not at all like a d-bag. I thought it was rather funny, and I can hardly get mad when i'm getting such useful information.

Nice to see smokers younger than me lol. Other than slow down and dry out, i'd say try as many tobaccos as possible some are bound to gurgle more than others.

Welcome pal, we look forward to reading your post...so post as often as you can. :cheers: