Newminster bulk tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit I've been curious about that one as well. It looks as though it could be pretty good from the components.

Anyone had this that can comment?

Cheers,

RR

<<added by edit- just went to the review site and saw several reviews from those here on BoB who's opinions I trust. Maybe I'll give this one a miss after all.>>

I've had the Bullseye flake and the Navy Flake...both are pretty good, but just a little rough around the edges (more true of the NF). If you're a "cellar and age" kinda guy, I'd grab some, smoke a bit and sock the rest away for two years or so...if you're a smoke 'em if you got 'em kind of guy, they'll be alright, but you'll probably be happier with the Stokkebye versions.

I'm smoking some of the Navy Flake as I type and it's part of a 1 oz sample I got in my "Bombardment" last year and I have to say it's an "eye-opener" as far as straight Va's go. Smooth, tasty, and bite free and rubs-out easily as well as does the fold and stuff method well also. I've had the Bullseye Flake as well and find it just as nice. I will probably get a quantity of it to jar in the future as I can see it as a Va blend/mixture worth having around. These two that I've had are as good as any of GLP's or C&D's Va's and would recommend 'em especially at the price point they sell for. JMHO   :twisted: :twisted:

I think with a bit of age on them they could be a real good smoke.  ;) 

I actually picked up an 8oz bag of this that was in the bargain bin at a tobacconist when I was out of town on business for like $12. They said they got it in as a sample from a rep to see if they wanted to sell it. Considering where it ended up, you could imagine they're not stocking it. For the price, I couldn't help but give it a whirl and I'm glad I did! Even at regular price, it's a good, tasty smoke. Shoot me a PM if you want a sample to try out.

I've checked the prices against PS bulk from 4noggins and Rich is cheaper! Shipping from 4noggins is also cheaper than from smokingpipes.com.

I will rather stick to LBF an NF from Peter Stokkebye  :D 

I tried the Navy Flake during that little blip when the Stokkebye blends were hard to come by. It wasn't bad and made a decent substitute for LNF, but of the two, I prefer LNF and see no need to keep both on hand.

I like flakes and coins. I really like VA/KY blends. However, my review for the Newminster Superior Round sliced was:

I can see how these rounds could appeal to those who like basically unflavored straightforward uncomplicated blends. I often like them as well. The rounds pack easily and burn well. For me, however, the blend is slightly bitey, the taste doesn't appeal, and the room note is terrible. For those who like Kentucky/Va's, give them a try, they might appeal to you.

I only gave it **, which is rare for me (19 times out of 148 blends rated). It is possible that age might improve it

I have tried the SRS and the SNF, but moreso the latter. I think it's definitely a good VA, one I may buy more of in the future. I also tried the SRS, and thought they were pretty good, maybe a bit better than the PS Amsterdam. It's been a while since I sampled it, though.