Newpipers Adventures.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newpiper19

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Figured I would start this new thread so I can log and review all the tobacco I try, as I try them. As you know I am VERY new to the pipe and have a very unrefined palate.

So today I will start this off with my first impressions of Sutliff B20.

I learned a little more about smoking a pipe today, and each new bowl teaches me more. I am still going a little too hard and too fast, but still improved over my last try with Nuns. The biggest thing I learned is that my expectations of taste where way off. I had assumed that since the pouch note was a strong vanilla scent, quite pleasant I might add, that the flavor of the smoke itself would be a strong vanilla taste. I expected it to taste like melted vanilla ice cream. It did not.

The flavor was there, but very light as well as a faint taste of sugar. I wonder if that sugar taste came from the Black Cavendish? The flavor was good, I quite enjoyed the smoke. My thoughts the whole time were on how light the flavor actually was. I am not sure why I expected it to taste stronger, like shooting a shot glass full of heavy cream that was laced with vanilla essence. This unexpected revelation about how tobacco tastes lead me to try and focus on the flavor so I can discern it. Which for the most part I was.

In the mouth, I felt no bite or harshness what so ever. The smoke had a "coolness" to it as it flowed into my mouth.

The bowl did get a tad over warm, but that is my fault for trying to hard, which is suspect is why the taste was not as strong. Again the revelation that the flavors are more subtle then I thought they would be means that I must slow down and keep it as cool as I can or I risk torching the flavors.

As cheap as this pouch was, I am surprised I liked it as much as I did. I am confidant it and any other blends flavors will get better with time as my puffing method gets more mature with practice.

It was a little wet as well and I think some drying time for the next bowl is in order.

I also came too the conclusion today I need more pipes. I need a pipe for work(and a pipe smokers travel kit) for those times I am in my work van and I have an hour between stops, or stuck in traffic like I was today.

Hi, NP,

All very nice to read.

Flavours will indeed come more to the fore as you technique improves. This is all part of your own pipe journey.

As for more pipes, I suggest you book an appointment with your Doc and let him know you're showing signs of early onset PAD. If he's worth his salt, he'll know what that is. I fear though that it may be too late...

Don't worry, no matter how many pipes you own, you'll always need more pipes. :lol:

“ I also came too the conclusion today I need more pipes. I need a pipe for work(and a pipe smokers travel kit) for those times I am in my work van and I have an hour between stops, or stuck in traffic like I was today.”

DOOMED...YOU ARE EXTREMELY AND TOTALLY DOOMED!

:cheers:

Fortunately I almost have enough pipes, with the correct number being n+1 (with n=the number of pipes currently owned) I will ALWAYS only need one more, and one isn't that much...see logic :cheers:

Blackhorse":vrxxy74v said:
“ I also came too the conclusion today I need more pipes. I need a pipe for work(and a pipe smokers travel kit) for those times I am in my work van and I have an hour between stops, or stuck in traffic like I was today.”

LOL! I saw some of the prices of these pipes and OMG! There is a number of hand carved ones at the local shop and they are in the $260 range! :shock: Some of them where odd shaped. Some had Large squarish bowls, and others really long curvy handles and some with rough looking tops, and some with rough sides.

My reason for wanting more pipes is that I heard that pipes can influence the taste of Tobacco. Some blends doing better in some bowls vs others. I figured I should have a set of pipes for Aromatics, a set for mild/cross over aromatics and a set of pipes for non aromatics. Also need small pipes for shorter smokes and large pipes for longer ones.

Also got introuble with the wife as I wanted to get another tin from the store, something different and she insisted I smoke what I have first... LOL. But I want to try them all..... And they have so many that are in desperate need of a home.

I want to get the entire Mac Baren HH line.

.... and keep your wife onside or it'll be a v short slippery slope ;)

Newpiper19":qiz1yeut said:
Blackhorse":qiz1yeut said:

LOL! I saw some of the prices of these pipes and OMG! There is a number of hand carved ones at the local shop and they are in the $260 range!  :shock:   Some of them where odd shaped. Some had Large squarish bowls, and others really long curvy handles and some with rough looking tops, and some with rough sides.

My reason for wanting more pipes is that I heard that pipes can influence the taste of Tobacco.  Some blends doing better in some bowls vs others. I figured I should have a set of pipes for Aromatics, a set for mild/cross over aromatics and a set of pipes for non aromatics.  Also need small pipes for shorter smokes and large pipes for longer ones.  

Also got introuble with the wife as I wanted to get another tin from the store, something different and she insisted I smoke what I have first... LOL. But I want to try them all..... And they have so many that are in desperate need of a home.

Impress upon her the tenuous nature of the future tobacco supply. It's not even a lie.

Zanaspus":7p4pgrrx said:
Newpiper19":7p4pgrrx said:
Blackhorse":7p4pgrrx said:

LOL! I saw some of the prices of these pipes and OMG! There is a number of hand carved ones at the local shop and they are in the $260 range!  :shock:   Some of them where odd shaped. Some had Large squarish bowls, and others really long curvy handles and some with rough looking tops, and some with rough sides.

My reason for wanting more pipes is that I heard that pipes can influence the taste of Tobacco.  Some blends doing better in some bowls vs others. I figured I should have a set of pipes for Aromatics, a set for mild/cross over aromatics and a set of pipes for non aromatics.  Also need small pipes for shorter smokes and large pipes for longer ones.  

Impress upon her the tenuous nature of the future tobacco supply. It's not even a lie.
Not only that, but aging does wonders to a lot of blends. Also variety is the spice of life.

You might also point out how many pairs of shoes she owns and ask her why she doesn't just wear one pair until they wear out!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":tgoe5wo6 said:
Zanaspus":tgoe5wo6 said:
Newpiper19":tgoe5wo6 said:
Blackhorse":tgoe5wo6 said:

Not only that, but aging does wonders to a lot of blends. Also variety is the spice of life.

You might also point out how many pairs of shoes she owns and ask her why she doesn't just wear one pair until they wear out!

;)

Cheers,

RR
And duck immediately!

Ozark Wizard":rl1my26r said:
Brewdude":rl1my26r said:
Zanaspus":rl1my26r said:
Newpiper19":rl1my26r said:
Blackhorse":rl1my26r said:

;)

Cheers,

RR
And duck immediately!
And skulk off to the dog house. (With a pipe).

Hey guys! I have decided for now that I want to smoke what I have instead of buying more and more tins and bulk. What is the point if my palate and skill are not up to par to enjoy them yet? I do need a dedicated ARO pipe, so that is my next purchase.

So. I have not been able to smoke anything since Sunday, which is when I had my first cigar.(Tesa Reserva 464. almost vomited after I finished it to the nub. Also felt like I had just done 4 shots of Whiskey ) Just been way to busy and tired from it all..

So Tonight after 3 hours of hauling trash out to the curb for unlimited Trash day, I sat down outside for a bowl of Three Nuns orange. My third bowl of Nuns. I again rubbed the coins out as I did last time.

I am convinced I am still not puffing correctly, as I got almost no flavor. Just mellow smoke going in. The bowl never got what I think is hot, but it did get warm. Tomorrow I plan on another bowl and my try just stacking the coins and seeing if that helps.

Now that is not to say I didn't enjoy the experience. It was a mellow smoke, no bite and the experience was relaxing. I just wish I could get some of the flavors I see mentioned by JimInks on Tobacco Reviews.

I feel retarded as I had less trouble tasting the cigar last Sunday. Like Creamy earthy with a bit of sweet. Though the flavor was subtle, it felt easier to pick up.

I think part of the problem is I am smoking very infrequently and need to develop my palate. So I am going to try again tomorrow. Any advice is appreciated.

I’d try a different blend. The Nuns flavor profile should be totally up front & obvious. If it’s not I’d suspect the tobacco. Rubbing out coins should release more flavor as it allows the stuff to burn more quickly. Try one or two other blends to see if their flavors are more outspoken.

Blackhorse":gqthf51x said:
I’d try a different blend.  The Nuns flavor profile should be totally up front & obvious.  If it’s not I’d suspect the tobacco.  Rubbing out coins should release more flavor as it allows the stuff to burn more quickly. Try one or two other blends to see if their flavors are more outspoken.  
But what should that flavor profile be for nuns? I assume it should be grassy from the light Virginias, Dark fruit from the Red, woodsy from the Kentucky and not sure what to expect from the little bit of burley in it. At least that is what I gather from the review of it.

So what blend should I try instead? Old dark fired? All my local shop has is a smattering of HH and the three Crumble cakes..

Read the JimInks review. His is the most detailed and descriptive per the different components.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1259/mac-baren-three-nuns

If I knew exactly what the other blends available to you were I could suggest something. Do you have a problem with ordering from an online vendor?

Blackhorse":0jhgt3j2 said:
Read the JimInks review.  His is the most detailed and descriptive per the different components.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1259/mac-baren-three-nuns

If I knew exactly what the other blends available to you were I could suggest something.  Do you have a problem with ordering from an online vendor?
I don't have a credit card right now, so ordering online is a no go.

Well, of the tinned stuff, they have some the Sutliff/Mac Baren stuff. HH pure virginia, HH matured Virginia, HH Bold Kentucky and HH old Dark fired. HH Acadian Perique. HH latakia. All three Crumble Kakes. Red Virginia Crumble kake, English number 1 Crumble kake and Va Perique Crumble kake.

Also, some pouches of 1m, D40, b20, Black cherry, buttered rum, and whiskey.

This is from Smoking Pipes...

“We have a number of different payment methods available. The simplest is to simply use the secure shopping cart and use your American Express, Discover, VISA or MasterCard credit or Debit card. However, if you do not feel comfortable giving out your billing information online, you can check-out using the 'offline payment' option and mail in a check...”

I think most vendors will do this...I’d call customer service at one of the vendors and chat about sending a check or even a Money Order by mail.

Options.  Plenty of ‘em.