Next against the shooting block - My review of SG 1792 Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zjgilbert

Reaction score
So a couple of days ago my dad and I were sitting on the front porch trolling the web for some new tobacco to try. We were looking at some of the higher rated tobaccos on tobaccoreviews.com, and he mentioned Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake seemed to be fairly well liked. We were both quite intrigued by the description and decided that would be one of the next tobaccos we try. I found a tin at my local B&M today, so thought I'd give this stuff a try. Upon opening I wasn't sure if I loved or detested the bouquet of chocolate, leather, dirty socks, cheap old lady purfume, and as another put it, a pet store. I rubbed a few flakes out onto a piece of paper to dry before I packed my bowl. I did this well over an hour and a half prior to packing and my hands still reeked of this poor man's potpourri. With shaking hands I packed the bowl and lit the match. Being a religious man I heeded BoxerBuddy's review and said a prayer for my soul. I lowered the flame to the weed and watched the black moss curl up to meet its demise. I slowly drew in on the smoke, anticipating the consequences. I sat there puffing on it for a few minutes trying to figure this stuff out. I couldn't decide if I liked the tobacco or not. Couldn't tell if it was a spicy blend or something sweet. I set the pipe down for a minute in an attempt to reflect. About a minute later I picked it back up and drew on the stem. It had already gone out. I lit another match and repeated the process. Again, the pipe went out after reflection. This happened about two times before I just took a few huge sips off of the pipe. I exhaled out of my nose and felt as though someone had just poured chlorine down my throat. All I could taste was the air wafted over a public pool and bitterness. As I sat back and smoked this blend a bit more I was reminded of a flavor that was there from the beginning, but hidden underneath the wal-mart quality perfume aroma - semi-sweet chocolate chips. As I wiped the sweat off my face I lit another match. As I drew in on the smoke my mind's eye flashed with visions of rotting trees and caverns deep within the soil. I could picture scoundrels of the lowest degree covered in dirt and sweat sipping on this poison as they drank beer from a mug the size of a small child, and I was faced with something I truly did not expect after my introduction to 1792. I actually found myself enjoying it. I don't mean the kind of enjoyment one would find in their favorite brew after a hard day of work. I mean the kind of enjoyment a toddler would gain from breaking a toy he wanted, but belonged to anther child. A sick, twisted, almost demented kind of enjoyment. To reference BoxerBuddy's review again, I could hear the dark prince laughing as I sipped on the tobacco. "Good, my child, good. Embrace the punishment," I could hear between his cries of joy. I could feel horns growing from my head, bat wings erupted from my back, tearing the flesh away as the smoke billowed from my mouth. With every draw on the acrylic my innards were being ripped out. Alas, I had become one of his minions. Whenever I am in the mood for some punishment and feel like being emasculation with whips and chains I will return to this tobacco. :twisted:

I appreciate your notes.

This I will not buy.

This I will not try.

It's changed over the years. Good stuff with a kick. More chocolately nowadays. Used to be known as "Dead Mouse in a Tin". :shock: And for very good reason. I have checked my cellar for more of the old stuff and it's all gone now.

Any idea how it compares to G&H Louisiana Perique Flake? That one is another VA based Lakeland with a Tonquin Bean topping.

Dave_In_Philly":k957adtx said:
Any idea how it compares to G&H Louisiana Perique Flake? That one is another VA based Lakeland with a Tonquin Bean topping.
Not even close. Two very different animals.

The G&H LA perique flake has a few other toppings as well including chocolate and some type of nutty thing going on.... 1792 is straight up tonquin! And a lot of it...

I really like the stuff but it must be dried and smoked gently in a smaller bowl... Bonus points in a cob :)

So many tobaccos do best in a smaller pipe. I'm not surprised many dislike this tobacco just because it is not "easy" to fall in love with... But when is easy ever worth while?? :lol:

I have a tin of this looming in the back of my cellar. I figured I'd follow most recommendations and let it age a bit before smoking it. I even have a sparkly new cob set aside for the occasion. ;)

I have really enjoyed most of all the Lakelands I have tried so far. So I fully expect to like it.

It's really not as bad as all that.

Like S.Ireland said, dry it out well and smoke it slowly in a small bowl.

You may be surprised.

Todd

With so much to try, what is one more thing? I'll add it to my list. Where? The bottom part of my list - not the last thing, but close. Out of courtesy I'll inform you that it will take a long time to get to the bottom of my list.

Where again? Past Badger Testicles, between Fetid Beaver Turds and the very last thing: Meatloaf's Sweat.

Yeah, that seems right.

There's only one way to truly know everything you know...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oHLw2lyLnA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

DrumsAndBeer":e7vj33hp said:
I have a tin of this looming in the back of my cellar. I figured I'd follow most recommendations and let it age a bit before smoking it. I even have a sparkly new cob set aside for the occasion. ;)

I have really enjoyed most of all the Lakelands I have tried so far. So I fully expect to like it.
I've got some open at the moment, Chris. I will send you some. I'm confident that you'll like it... After all, it is a real man's tobacco!

(laughing at those who despise the stuff :twisted: )

Fishfuzz":kb6d0wr7 said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oHLw2lyLnA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Is that David Hyde Pierce??

s.ireland":l55uahjb said:
DrumsAndBeer":l55uahjb said:

I've got some open at the moment, Chris. I will send you some. I'm confident that you'll like it... After all, it is a real man's tobacco!

(laughing at those who despise the stuff :twisted: )
Ooooo. Thanks Shane! In the meantime I'll be preparing myself for the nicotine induced bowel-quake. :twisted:

The only reasons why I haven't the brass-ones to try 1792 are two:

1) I already know I'll hate it

2) All funny that has been derived from hating it in review/text has been done. (Boxerbuddy getting first prize.)

This review is awesome because it was a chuckling, total self-abuse kind of review, and that's worth mentioning. 8)

I bought a tin of 1792 a year or two ago...my first impression as to the flavor was a good one, but the nicotine was a bit strong for me, and there was something else going on in there that contributed to a general feeling of malaise. Halfway through the tin I was forced to give up on the blend.

Revor Plug, Condor and 1792 Flake/Cob Plug are my three all time favorites. I just can't get enough of them. Round that lot out with Dark Plug/Flake and Bracken Flake and it's a party in my pipes.

s.ireland":s7qftgrp said:
Fishfuzz":s7qftgrp said:

Is that David Hyde Pierce??
Indeed. I just wish they had been able to make an entire series of Amazing Screw On Head.

After smoking the one bowl I definitely agree it needs to sit and dry. I probably won't touch it again for quite a while.

...1792 is indeed stout...not as much as it used to be, but is quite different than most tobaccos today. I began smoking this in the late 1960's and it is one of my top 15 pipe tobaccos of all time. Frankly, when I smoked it 40 years ago, it many times "took my breath away", so to speak. However, like a good scotch, it is a tobacco that one must "grow into".

While I still purchase 1792 in bulk, I also purchase Cob Plug which is the plug form of 1792. By varying the cut, thickness, etc. you have more control over the smoke...and I cellar mine for several years which makes a big difference as well. What I'm smoking today is about 10 years old and there's nothing that compares to a slow, sipping, smoke of this fine tobacco... :cheers: