Next against the shooting block - My review of SG 1792 Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1792 definitely makes a strong impression with those who smoke it for the first time. It's also one of two blends (the other is GLP Sextant) which are strictly prohibited in the presence of Mrs. E.

I do think it's a blend that's worth getting to know. My first try left me thinking how weird it was, which seems to be common. Once I understood how it wanted to be smoked, I ended up liking it quite a bit. It's not a "love at first sight" tobacco for most.

It seems to be happiest at a mid-moisture level. After I cube a wet flake (tin moisture level), I'd give it a a good 20-30 minutes of airtime and it's perfect. JMHO.

I gave it a try a few years ago; hated it from the start.
I revisited it periodically, and still hated it.
Tonquin is not for me. I know this is a popular blend
and a true "love it or hate it" blend. I eff'n hate it. ;)

I really like 1792 Flake. Like Mike says it seems hit or miss regarding strength. Seems to be the case with most of the SG and GH blends.
Two Christmas's ago my wife bought me a "six-pack" of 1792.
I now have eight tins aging and a jar containing some that I bought from Mike when he had his sale. I'm hooked on tonquin.
I'm beginning to seriously believe that tonquin looses its oomph as a blend ages in the jars. Some of the older stuff I have is loosing the tonquin flavor.
Not just 1792 but G&H DFS, Bracken Flake and even Condor mellows out/looses tonquin flavor. Bummer. Major bummer. I get the stuff because of the flavor and I don't want that flavor going bye-bye. Regarding ghosting of a bowl by 1792...I really didn't notice any after smoking just one bowl in a pipe and then trying other blends.
Condor on the other hand ghosted a bowl so much after one bowl that the next seven (7) bowls of CH tasted like Condor. I LOVED it!
The taste of Condor without actually smoking Condor. The eighth bowl of CH tasted like CH. For me 1792 didn't ghost anywhere near as bad (if at all) as Condor.
To each his own I rekkin. I like the stuff.