Next chapter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumus

Reaction score
In 1996 I left college with an associate of applied science in journalism and promptly got married. 20 years and three children later, I'm still married to the same good woman and going back to school. Classes start tomorrow and, if all goes as planned, by August of next year I'll have completed my bachelors and earned a teaching degree. Originally I had been told that while technically a teaching degree was all that the state required, the reality was that no school was likely to hire anyone for a full time teaching position who did not already posses a masters degree as well. Plenty of work as a substitute teacher, but no full time with out the masters degree. Further research however, including speaking with the superintendent of our local school district, has indicated that with the current shortage of teachers, this is no longer the case. Guess we'll see how it goes when I get there. Had never really thought about teaching, but after five years of driving school bus with numerous coaches (and others) asking why I wasn't teaching, I began to seriously consider it. So, after researching it a bit and after much prayer and seeking of (hopefully wise council) here I am. Must say it's a heady mix of anticipation, apprehension and carefully controlled excitement I'm feeling tonight. Sort of a head on a swivel eyes wide open kind of a thing. If nothing else, I'm hoping my kids will see that its never too late to change course and try to better themselves. I think they may have already gotten the faintest glimmer of a hint as to why I'm always telling them to get the most out of their schooling while its still free, when they saw me drop nearly $400.00 on text books the other day (the majority of which was for a book on philosophy). Explained to them that as such things go, $400 is not that much for books, and that tuition was on top of that. :afro:

Best of luck to you.

I earned my degree intent on teaching, got into it and quickly realized I wasn't cut out for the bureaucracy of the California state school system. Loved the kids, hated the system.

I have a number of good friends who are teachers an love it. I admire what they do and how much they work even when they are not at work. I often times wonder what it would be like for me to go back and do it now. Especially since I have my own kids and that I am more level headed and easy going than I was back in 1996. :face:

Good on you for going back to school. I have an English degree and one semester of grad school in English education. I ended up getting married and got a job in the Heating and Air Conditioning field (what I did in the military). Now, almost five years later I wish I had stuck with it. I would (could) be teaching somewhere and doing something of which I'm passionate. Now, I am making more money fixing boilers and chillers than I would teaching, at least for the first 10 years or so (in my area) and likely will never RE-enter the teaching field again.

So, I congratulate you and wish you all the best!

It's never to late to gain knowledge. Passing that knowlege to another generation is an honorable act. I'm glad you're going for it. I wish you the best of luck. :)

AJ

Good news Fumus, we can always do with more passionate teachers in schools and I reckon you fit the bill. Best of luck with it all.

Cheers

Tim