NHL Playoff Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerfer

Reaction score
I know it's a little early, but I thought we'd hit the ground ice running this year.

It's odd not seeing the Red Wings and Blackhawks in this year. I can't see the golden Knights going deep (too many injuries), but for as much as I dislike Bettman, he did this expansion team right. It cost my beloved Predators James Neal, but it's nice to see an expansion team be competitive right out of the chute.

I have to go with my Preds for Lord Stanley's Cup this year. It's theirs to lose. So much depth, it's not even funny. Even our backup goalie is playing lights out.

I don't watch hockey like I once did. I don't care for USA NBC coverage or their choice in commentators. It was a bad day for the USA when ESPN/ABC didn't win the TV contract. To be candid, I don't think they bid on it or even wanted it. I do still enjoy watching Hockey Night out of Canada when the NHL Network broadcasts them for the USA market. I get enthusiastic about the first two rounds or so of playoffs, but by the end of those, I'm always fatigued. It just goes on too long.

However, I do try to follow both the women and men NCAA Frozen Four tournaments. Those are broadcast on the ESPN and CBS affiliates, and they know what they're doing. College hockey is fun. One game. Move on. I do understand the grind of 7-game series is part of what makes the NHL Playoffs to be so grueling and difficult to win. I get it, but two months later, I just want it over with and done. And in the middle of summer for it to be ending is ridiculous.

But I'm sure I'll be watching at least the first round. I'll be back to this thread.

Overtime game after overtime game can get grueling. I remember one year when I was just hoping my team would lose so that I could be free from watching more games. Watching games on California ice go into triple overtime got to be way too late for me. I don't even stay at bars that late.

Opera's free VPN has opened up many a Hockey Night in Canada for me. But you're right; it's time to get some new blood in the NBC booth. Mike Milbury is always ginning up a controversy that isn't there, and while Don Cherry hasn't said anything worth listening to for about eight years, I do like that man's suits.