Nicotine in leaf

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Which tobacco leaves have the most nicotine?  Or, is the nicotine enhanced through the processing of the tobacco?  I know some tobaccos have a lot of vitamin N in them. I have heard that you can get a case of the hiccups from high levels of nicotine. That has happened to me a couple of times.  I don't really care about the amounts I consume, I was just wondering.

Location can be important as to how strong the concentration of nicotine is, but more importantly I believe the type of tobacco plant plays a role. Check out the stickies on this section. Full of good information! :D

I could be wrong but:

Burley has, in its raw state, the highest nicotine content.

Then, I think the process called "Dark-Fired Kentucky" will give you a run for your money.

Finally, when Burley becomes Perique, if you smoke it by itself, well...brace for shock! :affraid:

Position on the stalk has a big effect on nic content. So does variety of tobacco As well as processing of the leaf. Processing can easily double the available nic. Its a matter of freebasing the nic. Which is done by adjusting ph of the leaf. Generally referred to as fermenting. As that has a less negative connotation.

Hope that helps
Jim

Dark Burley, dark-fired Kentucky, and cigar leaf generally have more nic than most other leaf. Virginia is primed, meaning that the leaves are harvested a bit at a time. The lowest leaves are called cutter, and generally lower in nicotine. The mid-range leaf is referred to as leaf and has a little more, and the upper leaves are called tips and have the most. As mentioned, the processing will also make a difference. Perique is thought to be high in nicotine, but it's not. But there's something about the chemistry that allows the nicotine in the blend to be absorbed more readily, which is why people get a "kick" from Perique.

Russ

Nicotiana Rustica has the highest natural nicotine, but this is rarely, if ever, used in pipe tobacco blending. In fact these days it is mainly used as the source for nicotine used in electronic cigs etc.

There is a bit more info in this post:
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t27730-my-tobacco-world-flue-cured-grading

I recall writing a post about nicotine at different plant positions and pH etc many years back. Will have to have a search!