Nightcap - a second opinion

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
Well, now ... this was unexpected.

I've been meaning to try the new Dunhills since their release but haven't gotten around to it until now. I was never a big fan of the Dunhills in the first place. I tried them numerous times over the past 20 years, but I found them too "peaty" and harsh when compared to the various other English/Balkan blends I smoked. Nonetheless, I wanted to give the new versions a try just to see if my tastes and/or the blends have changed. Basically, runaway TAD :) ! So, I went into my city's sole surviving B&M and grabbed tins of EMP, 965, Nightcap, London Mixture and Navy Rolls.

The first of these to be opened, this morning, was Nightcap.

Wow. I haven't smoked it yet, as I want to give it some time to dry first (very moist in the tin) but this doesn't smell anything like I remember! There's a little bit of the Dunhill funk/peat odor, but this smells more like a heavy GLP or Compton's blend than anything else. Think Odyssey plus perique, only presented in a very friendly ribbon/shag cut.

I'm actually stoked about trying this one later!

So, who's tried the new version and what do you think of it compared to the older versions?

For me, it's just like the Murray blend when it was new in the tin. In fact, to my taster, all of the current crop could be Murray blend when they were new. Age of course makes them better. :sunny: