Nightcap for a sleepless baby?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocWorkerSmoker

Reaction score
Hey Guys

My 4 1/2 month old son has in the last two days started a sleep strike (he won't sleep more than a couple of hours in a row now). I was thinking about giving him some Dunhill Nightcap ;) but then I figured the misses might have something to say about that :evil: Hopefully today will be better. Papa wants to be able to smoke his pipe for more than just 10 minutes stretches....Any other suggestions, helpful or otherwise ;)

Cheers
Sleepless SWS

He could be friends with this kid...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EBwDSr91Ri4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I was a sprout and colicky, my mom and dad would march up and down the halls with me in their arms, singing the Marine Hymn, to get me to sleep. Your results may vary.

I've heard tell of spiking the milk bottle with a little spirit.

I've always been told by my parents as a very unruly baby they always found the best medicine was to dab a little burbon on the finger, and run it on the childs gumline. Swore by it, FWIW :cheers:

At this point, I am not sure if spiking the milk bottle with a little spirit or the bourbon on the finger trick would be better for him or me. As they say, "one for me, and one for you."

Cheers
SWS

Try 4 oz of milk, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp Scotch. It's called a Dirty Mother. I'm told it works great. :roll:

LoL. Dimetapp. :p

On a serious note, I started letting Alex "cry it out" at around 3 or 4 months at night. It really sucked at first, but he learned quickly to sleep through the night. Basically, if you rush to your baby at every wimper, they'll learn that it's okay to wake you up in the middle of the night.

It was hard to do, but because I did it that way, Alex now sleeps from 7:30pm to 7:00 am every night and never cries unless he's pooped. He's been that way since around 5 months and he's a year and a half old now.

May not be worth much, but that's my two cents. =)

SocWorkerSmoker":qmnkap4q said:
Hey Guys

My 4 1/2 month old son has in the last two days started a sleep strike (he won't sleep more than a couple of hours in a row now). I was thinking about giving him some Dunhill Nightcap ;) but then I figured the misses might have something to say about that :evil: Hopefully today will be better. Papa wants to be able to smoke his pipe for more than just 10 minutes stretches....Any other suggestions, helpful or otherwise ;)

Cheers
Sleepless SWS
You sure hes full? May be time for cereal before trying to get him drunk :lol:

I am pleased to report the little man is feeling better and slept (mostly) through last night. Now, all I need to do is get him to swaddle himself, change his own diaper, and fetch me my pipe and baccy!

Irene: I am completely jealous by your young ones sleep habits. I think my wife, Sarah, and I are going to start letting him "cry it out". The funny thing is, it will be my wife who is the stoic one, I will be the one wanting to run in to rescue him :cry:

Cheers
SWS

I have fond memories of sleepless months when my son was a newborn - and the lady is correct - the time comes when they must be allowed to cry it out - their first undesired tiny step from the nest :)

I was weaned on this preparation;

Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup was an indispensable aid to mothers and child-care workers. Containing one grain (65 mg) of morphine per fluid ounce, it effectively quieted restless infants and small children. It probably also helped mothers relax after a hard day's work. The company used various media to promote their product, including recipe books, calendars, and trade cards such as the one shown here from 1887 (A calendar is on the reverse side.).

winslows-ad.jpg

Winslow :sunny:

SocWorkerSmoker":dmqmgidg said:
Irene: I am completely jealous by your young ones sleep habits. I think my wife, Sarah, and I are going to start letting him "cry it out". The funny thing is, it will be my wife who is the stoic one, I will be the one wanting to run in to rescue him :cry:
It's hard to do, I cried a few times myself because all I wanted to do was go in and comfort him. There's nothing more heart wrenching and stressful than listening to your baby scream and knowing that the best thing to do is just let them be sad. =( But there is 8 hours of sleep for both you AND the kiddo once you're on the other end of that. =)

Winslow, you bring up an interesting and not often covered fact in our school history books, about opium addiction in the latter 1800s. Some of the texts I've used in my classes give percentages as high as 1/5 to 1/4 of the US female population used laudanum type products (basically raw opium or an opium derivative dissolved in high-proof grain alcohol with some flavoring!) regularly for them selves and their children. But consider the time: (and remember the advertisements as above show an upper-class, aristocratic lady living the perfect life of luxury, not the reality for most of our ancestors) you live in an isolated, leaking sod house in the prairie, you've just finished a hard, grueling 12 hour day of non-stop physical labor including cooking every meal from scratch, all the cleaning, tending your eight kids, gardening, and perhaps pulling the plow along with your older kids if you couldn't afford the mule yet, and you're ready to pass out from exhaustion and several of your younger kids are whinny or have colic. An inexpensive, legal, easily obtained product promoted by respected businessmen you trust can solve it, so they sedated their kids and themselves and it solved the problem (until 4 AM the next morning when you have to get up and start all over again).

Think of all those historic pictures you've seen over the years of a farm or pioneer family sitting in front of their simple house (often with every major possession and piece of furniture put out there with them to show off what they had), and how the woman and kids often had these distant, blank stares. A number of them were probably waked out?

Of course, our addiction to cocaine and related products just after this period changed this, but that's for next weeks class. :lol: And yes, this will be on the exam!

Natch

There is a halfway house in Illinois where I attended my first AA meeting as a young lad of 35,
back in 1981.The men who lived there for 3 months until they got back on their feet were of an
average age of 53 I guess.Alcohol had brought them to the crash and burn syndrome around 50
years of age.
Fast forward 25 years....same halfway house for men in Illinois,average age of residents is now
25 years old.What causes the destruction in one year or so that takes alcohol 30 years to achieve?
Cocaine does that and it does it well.Stay away people...once you have fed on honeydew and
drunk the milk of paradise,the end comes fast.

Winslow :sunny: