Nightcap Like No Other or a Charlatan??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Here's a poser for you all.

I was recently gifted about 4oz of tobacco, which a friend had purchased in bulk at a Tinder Box shop in Ohio. He didn't care for it, but knew I did. Nice to have friends!

Anyway, here's the mystery - this tobacco doesn't smell or taste like any Nightcap I've ever had. The jar note, instead of being latakia-smokey, is more like fresh milk chocolate over a base of a quality Balkan-style blend.

The chocolate tin note just barely carries over to the smoke -more in the room note and aftertaste than the actual flavour. The tobacco seems milder than the last Nightcap I smoked, with the usual latakia smokiness pushed aside in favour of a peppery spiciness. I'd say latakia is definitely more condimental that central in the blend. My guess is that the pepper note comes from a good dose of Perique among the Orientals.

It's an interesting and enjoyable smoke, full flavoured with voluminous white smoke when you get puffing. Lights and burns well too. The peppery note makes me think that the Tinder Box folks mixed up the labels on their bulk bags.

I'll have to compare it to another batch of Nightcap now - for, um, scientific reasons, you know... ?

But if anyone recognizes a favourite blend in my amateur tasting notes, please let me know. I'd love to figure out what I've got in the jar!

Could it be some version of Bob's Chocolate Flake? Only thing is I don't think BCF has Perique nor does The Mayor's Chocolate Flake. Interesting 'baccy combination I must admit!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":i1kv7a0u said:
Could it be some version of Bob's Chocolate Flake? Only thing is I don't think BCF has Perique nor does The Mayor's Chocolate Flake. Interesting 'baccy combination I must admit!! :cheers: FTRPLT
It's a tasty mystery! The blend came to me as a loose ribbon cut, which is how it left the factory in my opinion. It's too uniform to be a rubbed out flake.

I'm not a huge Perique fan, but I'd be tempted to order a tin or two if I knew what it was.

puros_bran":gd1w51sp said:
It's probably Sutliffs Tobacco  Gallaria Nightcap.
Sorry for the late response. Your suggestion makes a good deal of sense, puros. I was unaware that there were two blends that shared a name (although Sutliff writes theirs as "Night Cap" instead of Dunhill's "Nightcap").

Reminds me of Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America" movie, in which he works at "McDowell's" burger joint serving "Big Mics" and "1/4th-pounders". :lol!: