NightCap

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roogles

Reaction score
Two weeks ago my wife went on a "girl's trip" to Cincinnati to spend a day bouncing between IKEA and Jungle Jims.

She returned with cardboard boxes aplenty, bringing me the promise of sore fingers and more shiny new alan wrenches than I would know what to do with, but also bearing gifts of the smokable variety!

nightcap.jpg

She doesn't pay any attention at all to my tobacco purchasing, and almost no attention to what I smoke except to occasionally tell me "ooooh, that smells good" or "Hey! That stinks!"

She said she asked the fine fellow at Jungle Jim's which pipe tobacco was his best seller, and he promptly handed her the tin of NightCap.

So... This is my first Dunhill tobacco, and my first non-aromatic.

I cracked the tin the other night, and the first thing to come to mind was bacon! (is that normal?)

I let a few pinches dry out in the lid of the tin for 10 minutes or so, and then packed it full and a bit loose and sat under a (too warm for March) star-lit sky to enjoy.

The smoke was thick and heavy, almost chewy. and as I got into the first quarter-bowl I couldn't get the thought out of my mind - this stuff tastes like bacon too!

Smokey, salty, meaty, wonderful. Perhaps there was more cured ham than bacon there, but either way it was very salty, smokey, this stuff used to say oink, feeling there.

oh, and the nicotine knocked me on my ass about the time I tamped my last tamp.

There's no way I could make this my "everyday" smoke, but for sitting out at the picnic table in the dark, under the stars, it was pretty wonderful.

So... Is the bacon thing just me?

roogles":s2xlv8af said:
Two weeks ago my wife went on a "girl's trip" to Cincinnati to spend a day bouncing between IKEA and Jungle Jims.

She returned with cardboard boxes aplenty, bringing me the promise of sore fingers and more shiny new alan wrenches than I would know what to do with, but also bearing gifts of the smokable variety!

nightcap.jpg

She doesn't pay any attention at all to my tobacco purchasing, and almost no attention to what I smoke except to occasionally tell me "ooooh, that smells good" or "Hey! That stinks!"

She said she asked the fine fellow at Jungle Jim's which pipe tobacco was his best seller, and he promptly handed her the tin of NightCap.

So... This is my first Dunhill tobacco, and my first non-aromatic.

I cracked the tin the other night, and the first thing to come to mind was bacon! (is that normal?)

I let a few pinches dry out in the lid of the tin for 10 minutes or so, and then packed it full and a bit loose and sat under a (too warm for March) star-lit sky to enjoy.

The smoke was thick and heavy, almost chewy. and as I got into the first quarter-bowl I couldn't get the thought out of my mind - this stuff tastes like bacon too!

Smokey, salty, meaty, wonderful. Perhaps there was more cured ham than bacon there, but either way it was very salty, smokey, this stuff used to say oink, feeling there.

oh, and the nicotine knocked me on my ass about the time I tamped my last tamp.

There's no way I could make this my "everyday" smoke, but for sitting out at the picnic table in the dark, under the stars, it was pretty wonderful.

I can't say I've ever thought specifically of bacon, but Night Cap is definitely a "salty" blend. It also has a woodsmoke flavor from the latakia, and a decent about of tang from both the Vas and the perique. In other words, while I don't get bacon, I can definitely see where that might occur to you.
BTW -- is this your first English blend?

jj1015":zd3531ej said:
Yes. and as far as I know this is also the first latakia blend I've tried.

Nice gift. Did you also get the MM Diplomat of did you already have it? Either way, nice Cob as well. I have several Diplomats myself and they're my favorite MM Cob.

BTW - if you like Nightcap but want something a little mellower/milder but still of the 'English' type, then try Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

roogles":a28wl79v said:
jj1015":a28wl79v said:
Yes. and as far as I know this is also the first latakia blend I've tried.
Wow -- talk about learning to swim by getting tossed into the deep end of the pool! :lol:

By "English" I meant "latakia blend," BTW. That's the common term for a blend with the lat-week in it, although there have been some suggestions flying about lately to drop the term "English" entirely.

If you like Nightcap, I can't wait to hear how you like some other latakia mixtures. Night Cap is very atypical of the genre, which is one reason it's so famous. But there are literally hundreds to choose from, and dozens of those are really really good. What do you normally smoke?

Hmmmmm.....where is that thread......I know it's around here someplace. AHa!

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t4037-dunhill-nightcap?highlight=nightcap

I've smoked nightcap for years and never tasted bacon. That'd be ok though. I'm a bacon fanatic.

My tin of Nightcap is tightly sealed, waiting patiently with a few other blends for me to finally get to--bacon sounds nice, real nice.

Congrats on getting along well with your first English! :cheers:

8)

roogles":hiveews9 said:
You've got aVERY NICE wife and you jumped off at the deep end of the pool for your first "English" blend :p I've eaten bacon for all my life and smoked Nightcap for over 30 years now and NEVER felt it tasted or smelled ANYWHERE NEAR bacon :p I think it's just YOU :p

Well I never got the bacon effect but I do enjoy it most in the morning as ironic as that sounds. Good string morning smoke to me.

Easily my favorite blend.
I too enjoy it most on nice cold mornings. Try it with a cup of Earl Grey.
For some reason that tea blend really seems to bring out the flavor, and makes it really pop, for me at least.

Actually, as funny as it might sound, I understand what you mean about the "bacon" flavor, lol. Some Latakia blends can have a "salty" quality to them. That and the Latakia smokiness just might make you think "bacon".

Rob_In_MO":x4zcbk3z said:
Nice gift. Did you also get the MM Diplomat of did you already have it? Either way, nice Cob as well. I have several Diplomats myself and they're my favorite MM Cob.

BTW - if you like Nightcap but want something a little mellower/milder but still of the 'English' type, then try Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.
I've actually had the Diplomat for a while. I got it with a set of MM pipes from a brother here on BoB, and it was unsmoked until I tried the Nightcap in it.

Since Nightcap is so different than anything else I've smoked, I've dedicated this diplomat to it.

Random - my favorite Missouri Meerschaum pipes are the cherry and maplewood Ozark Hardwood pipes. I have four (2 of each) that have become my "stick in my pocket, smoke in the car, everyday " pipes. They are lightweight, easy to clean and take care of, and fantastic smokers! and at $4 each, if I sit on one, drop one, step on one, or leave it somewhere I'm not all upset.

Thanks for the tip on Early Morning Pipe - I will grab a tin next time I'm near a B&M!

Carlos":t5thso99 said:
Hmmmmm.....where is that thread......I know it's around here someplace. AHa!

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t4037-dunhill-nightcap?highlight=nightcap
That is a great review of Nightcap! Thanks Carlos!

monbla256":csfx6c2m said:
You've got aVERY NICE wife and you jumped off at the deep end of the pool for your first "English" blend :p
I think I'll keep her! :D I had no idea I was in the deep end, but I did enjoy it!

monbla256":csfx6c2m said:
I've eaten bacon for all my life and smoked Nightcap for over 30 years now and NEVER felt it tasted or smelled ANYWHERE NEAR bacon :p I think it's just YOU :p
I'm totally open to the idea that there is something wrong with me :)

When I was in my early 20s and smoking awful pouch tobacco because I didn't know any better, I thought I was being extra classy when I'd buy stuff from the jars at Tinderbox. (when we still had those in Michigan) I think I was about 27 when I tried my first bowl of Nightcap. "Oh," I thought, "THIS is what pipe smoking is about."

I've been a fan of Nightcap for the last 4 years or so now, but I absolutely cannot get into EMP or 965, despite multiple tries. Where Nightcap comes off really tasty and slightly sweet, EMP and 965 are bitter and overpowering.

Why is this?

I can see that "bacon" thing as well. The smokiness of latakia can come off as a lot of things to different people, from campfire to cat pee. Probably the best description came from a friend's Cpt. Black smoking dad when I offered him some Balkan. He lit it up, squinted at it and said, "This smells exactly like a Greek woman's armpit." He took another long pull, smiled at me, and said, "And I like it!"

George Kaplan":n3d727j8 said:
I can see that "bacon" thing as well. The smokiness of latakia can come off as a lot of things to different people, from campfire to cat pee. Probably the best description came from a friend's Cpt. Black smoking dad when I offered him some Balkan. He lit it up, squinted at it and said, "This smells exactly like a Greek woman's armpit." He took another long pull, smiled at me, and said, "And I like it!"
:lol!: Obviously a man of keen discernment; few notice the difference between Greek and Roman!

Yes, to the thread. I haven't smoked Nightcap in years, but I seem to remember a bacon-flavored woman's armpit scent, sort of. Some scent and flavor sensations are rather fleeting, if not imaginary. I do believe I am going to buy some Nightcap after reading this stuff. Funny how the mind works.