Nighttime English blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocWorkerSmoker

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my very first post. I am searching for recommendations for a nighttime English blend. I work an evening/night shift and as such do not get home until around 11pm and I am looking for an English blend that is smooth, not to much nicotine and something that would be a nice calming smoke before bed. I am relatively new to pipes and have only tried a handful of tobaccos. I really love Maltese Falcon but when I smoke that at night I have 'running man' dreams. I think because it is high in nicotine? Thank you all in advance. This forum is terrific for newbies like myself. I have already learned a great deal.

Cheers
Joshua

Hello, welcome, etc etc! :D

The new blend from Lowland Tobacco (smokingpipes.com) called Cooper is really quite good, and not a head spinner at all.

Another I like is McClelland's Dark Full English... I can't remember the bulk # but it's widely available. Nice and smooth and mellow.

The Frog Morton series is quite tasty, and I suppose Frog Morton on the Town is an English of a sort, though sweeter and mellower than many.

Oh, and Pelican and Accountant's Mixture and Gordon Pym and HH Vintage Syrian and Squadron Leader and Old Dublin....LOL

Sasquatch":0ez3fr04 said:
The new blend from Lowland Tobacco (smokingpipes.com) called Cooper is really quite good, and not a head spinner at all.
I would second the recommendation for Cooper. A very nice middle-of-the-road English which is a bit sweet (I suspect the Virginias need a bit of tin time). I am very much enjoying the tin I have open now for a good 'summer evening' smoke. The cut is fun too.

I enjoy English Luxury before bed occasionally. Not too high in nicotene content. Pretty smooth. Dark flavor.

Now, it isn't necessarily an English blend, but "Shortcut to Mushrooms" is very creamy, dark, and not high on the nicotene. Great nighttime smoke.

HoosierPuffer":aiwfxur1 said:
I enjoy English Luxury before bed occasionally. Not too high in nicotene content. Pretty smooth. Dark flavor.

Now, it isn't necessarily an English blend, but "Shortcut to Mushrooms" is very creamy, dark, and not high on the nicotene. Great nighttime smoke.

+1 on the Shortcut to Mushrooms. One of my favorite nightime smokes. When this smoke is accompanied by a couple of fingers of good bourbon or a dram of scotch, sllep is assured! :D

Iwan Ries's Gourmet English. A Va/Lat/Turk with no bite and a cool smoking. Sold in one pound bulk bags and I find it better than some similar blends that are more expensive.

Excellent recommendations all. As an alternative (and probably not strictly an "English style" blend) but one I've enjoyed on many a late evening Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture (50/50 Latakia and Virginia IIRC) nice, rich, smooth, creamy, and not very strong in vitamin 'N' Try a tin, bet you'll be ordering bulk soon :D

Commonwealth Mixture on TR Site

Two of my favourites are from C&D: Pirate Kake - rich in Latakia but very smooth - & Plantation evening - a mild English. Neither are particularly high in nic. And welcome to the Brotherhood!

I like Dunhill Nightcap, but its really hard to find. I've thought about trying And So To Bed as a night time smoke, but I've never gotten around to ordering a tin.

LtMac

I like Pirate Kake for a night cap; make sure you like latakia if you try it. Lately, I've been working my way through Plantation Evening which I like good enough, just not sure if I like it enough to buy more.

And so to bed is a good choice. Also, allow me to recommend Margate, which I find very pleasurable at night. One other suggestion: Pembroke, which I think is margate cased with cognac (I think, I'd have to read up on it).

Good luck finding your blend! Hope this helps.

Hi Joshua,

I'll second Margate and And So to Bed. I'll add Penzance, also from Esoterica.

From GLPease, I love Ashbury, Westminster, Abington and Caravan. Caravan is the sweetest of these and up there with Margate and Penzance for me.

I've found the Dunhill blends to have more nicotine in them.

Others that I think would fit your request would be Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader and McClelland's British Woods.

Cheers,

TC

kilted1":osmcoxgx said:
Excellent recommendations all. As an alternative (and probably not strictly an "English style" blend) but one I've enjoyed on many a late evening Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture (50/50 Latakia and Virginia IIRC) nice, rich, smooth, creamy, and not very strong in vitamin 'N' Try a tin, bet you'll be ordering bulk soon :D

Commonwealth Mixture on TR Site
Should you elect to try the Commonwealth recommended herein, give me a shout - out. I bought some a few weeks ago and it just isn't for me, so I've got 3 ounces I'm looking to switch out.

I am also searching for recommendations for a nighttime English blend. I work evening/night shift as well!! I am looking for an English blend that is smooth, not to much nicotine and something that would be a nice calming smoke before bed. (my favorite english blends so far are "Frog Morton" and "FMOTT") (sorry for paraphasing the above post,,it was written perfectly ;) I am especially interested in G.l. Pease blends that are flavorful, but low in Nicotine as well?? Is there any way to counteract nicotine if you have ingested to much? Any recommendations? Suggestions?

You know a thread is old when there's a reference to Cooper being new!

GLP makes some great English blends that range from mild to very strong, I'm sure you can find one to suit your needs, but I'll let others with more knowledge answer that one. Meridian would probably a good one.

Myself, I really like Peterson's Old Dublin for a medium English (medium in terms of Lat content) and C&D Star of the East for a strong English. Neither has too much nicotine.

There are several threads devoted to overdoing nicotine, when it happens to me I usually go for a spoonful of peanut butter. A spoonful of sugar seems to be the most common suggestion, but I haven't tried it myself. Search for those threads, there are a ton of suggestions.

Two very good traditional English style blends which are not nic heavy but deliver a nice smooth "English" note would be Dunhill's London Blend and Standard Mixture. They have been good lighter style English blends for years.

Three Oaks, either original or Syrian. It's been my "no bad dreams" late night smoke. Full of flavor, light on nicotine.

All hail zombie threads.

8)

Well, let's see. There is (or should that be are?) always Quiet Nights. . . ;)

Not to be confused with "Raging Nightmares." Which is usually what happens when I smoke Nightcap--good smoke, but not just before bed.

I haven't tried Quiet Nights yet.

:lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":smrpng6t said:
Not to be confused with "Raging Nightmares." Which is usually what happens when I smoke Nightcap--good smoke, but not just before bed.
I'm with you there. Nicotine seems to affect different people in different ways. Some find it sedative. For me, it's an amp-up that isn't entirely welcome, especially late at night. I'm pretty hyped up naturally - the last thing anyone around me wants to experience is me on uppers. ;)

It also gives me the munchies, which is further reason I don't smoke strong blends at night...