No more Peterson's, it's Rattray's now

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the info, Brothers. Here's the tin for those interested. A euro version it seems.

I read a lot on the subject. What I know is K & K "lost" the manufacturing contract to Mac Baren, but why, I have never been able to know. I don't think they voluntarily gave up the rights as Peterson is such a good seller.

K & K does not have the equipment to manufacture flakes. They always have sub - contracted Orlik to produce the flakes but manufacture the rest of the line.

Mac Baren, however, via one of their representatives, said they don't produce the flake tobaccos. Who does, then? It comes to mind that Orlik would as they might not have lost the rights to make them. MB produces the rest.

K & K kept the recipes and launched the "new" tobaccos that are Peterson under a new name. Obviously they figured out a way to try to keep these tobaccos. It would come to reason that Orlik still makes those flakes.

The question is: did K & K keep the exact same recipe and changed the names; or did they have to change slightly the recipe, not to end up accused of plagiarism? I am asking because I read on another forum that Red Lion's, supposed to be Old Dublin, is not like it at all, it's a dramatically different tobacco.

As for the flakes, did Orlik kept the same recipe, or did they have to bring changes to it, for the same reasons as K & K? I read, for Sterling flake, still on another forum, that there is no difference at 99%.

As for Wallace Flake, the tin description says "Pineapple" in front and is confirmed on the back of the tin ("ananas"); but the flavouring is supposed to be of plum according to TR, just like University Flake. Why say pineapple, in that case?

Confused, yet? 'Cause I am slightly.  :lol!: