No name with a P-lip?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffer Mark

Reaction score
Saw this (Dublin?) on a local auction site, only listed as a wooden tobacco pipe, by a seller who confesses to no knowledge of pipes. No markings present at all, but surely that's a P-lip? Sorry for the poor quality and distortion but that's all that's posted. Current bid is 1 ZAR (just shy of a penny, for the American brethren), so maybe I'll have a fling. Rather like Dublins for flake, and this one seems to have nice thick walls.

Any thoughts from the experts out there?

SpeedyPete":61ncvskg said:
That might of course be a pee lip in which case you won't want it.
I don't know. Nothing that a bit of bleach and a bristle cleaner wont take care of. Of course if it's a poo lip. . . .

I have run into a few pipes with P-lip knock-offs at local rummage sales and antique swap meets. It wouldn't surprise me if there were stems being made in the likeness of the P-Lip, although why anyone would bother doing so is beyond me. I own two Petersons with genuine P-lips. I will never own another.

I am no expert...But just because the pipe has a P-Lip doesn't mean it's a Pete. Several other makers used the P-Lip. At the current price why not give it a try??? Good luck!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Savinelli has made a series that had P-Lips, though I never saw a straight stemmed version and there was a brand called Wellington that made P-Lipped pipes though again all I ever saw were full bents. It could be a Pete that has had all it's stampings buffed off as it does look like a Pete styled Dublin !! If it's got some good wood and you like it and the price is right, GO FOR IT !! :twisted: :twisted:

ftrplt":6k2uzylx said:
I am no expert...But just because the pipe has a P-Lip doesn't mean it's a Pete. Several other makers used the P-Lip. At the current price why not give it a try??? Good luck!! :cheers: FTRPLT
The Savinelli Dry System pipes come with a p-lip variant. I have two 1/4 bent pots from this line. Vauen made them, and Invicta has them as an option on a couple of models.

monbla256":ph2h9n0h said:
It could be a Pete that has had all it's stampings buffed off as it does look like a Pete styled Dublin !!
Kind of agree on the styling but strongly doubt it's a Pete. The chamber looks as if it hasn't been smoked and no sign of the Peterson "P" on the stem.

Nevertheless it looks like it may be an OK smoker, so I'll throw my hat into the ring for a few bucks nearer to closing time. If I get it for $5, I'll tell my wife it's worth $200, and admonish her for frowning every time I come home with another pipe  :twisted:

As always, thanks for all the comments, gentlemen.

Mark.

monbla256":967twoxs said:
...there was a brand called Wellington that made P-Lipped pipes though again all I ever saw were full bents.
If I'm not mistaken the Wellington "P-lip" hole goes straight out and not through the top of the bit as does the Peterson. I recently sold my old Wellington so I can't say for sure but that's how I remember it.  And I agree; never saw a Wellington that wasn't a full bent system type pipe.  Some of them are huge!

I've seen a few other P-lip "copies"; I had a neat little curved Yachtsman-style (at least that's what I would call it) pipe stamped Wally Frank, Pipe of the Month, Root Briar.  It had very nice wood but was just too small for me so it went on the bay too.

Not to steal the thread...Regarding "Wellington" pipes, a true Wellington is always a bent of some given size. Wellington is not, to my very best knowledge, a brand name. It's a style of pipe named after/for the Duke of Wellington. A majority of the ones we see where made by "WDC" (William Demuth & Co.) in the late 19th/early 20th century. All have/had P-Lips, as that was the "Wellington-style." Interestingly, most have a "well" in the shank, ala  Peterson "system" pipes. FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

Puffer Mark":jl2vzkzq said:
monbla256":jl2vzkzq said:
It could be a Pete that has had all it's stampings buffed off as it does look like a Pete styled Dublin !!
Kind of agree on the styling but strongly doubt it's a Pete. The chamber looks as if it hasn't been smoked and no sign of the Peterson "P" on the stem.

Nevertheless it looks like it may be an OK smoker, so I'll throw my hat into the ring for a few bucks nearer to closing time. If I get it for $5, I'll tell my wife it's worth $200, and admonish her for frowning every time I come home with another pipe  :twisted:

As always, thanks for all the comments, gentlemen.

Mark.
Now this is genuine gold gentlemen. I tip my hat to you sir.