Nobushi Japanese Whiskey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Last week's Morelli's Monday Madness deal was Nobushi Japanese Whiskey, $24.95, which is about half price of what I see others are charging. I ordered a bottle as the reviews are favorable at a couple of sites.
12247178248222.png

I picked up my bottle today and am sipping it as I'm writing. If I'd paid more than $25.00, I'd be angry. It has an odd taste, like some off-the-wall flavorings were added.

I had some Suntory Japanese whisky a while back, it was pleasant enough but I prefer Irish eg. Black Bush, Tullamore or Jamesons. Especially as the Suntory was twice the price of Jamo's

Japanese whisky was very popular a decade ago and the aged product flew off the shelves.
Now they are having to present product that doesn't have quite the age as in the past.
And it's going to cost you a pretty penny , in some cases.
You generally find blends and certainly not with the smokey taste that you get with Laphroaig.
They are worth trying and have their followers.
Try any of the Suntory, Hibiki and Yamasaki....its a quality product.
They have also been introducing sherry cask aged whisky
They do make a great gift for your single malt friends.

Teachers highland cream is probably my favorite blend due to its smoky character and 43 abv here in the States. I am quite a fan of Ardbeg as of late for a single malt.

I have stayed away from the Japanese whiskeys as of late as a result of what Donk has pointed out though locally prices are falling on this iteration.

if you run across a bottle of old tub bourbon I would recommend picking it up...

What's up with you guys? With all the whiskey produced in the US you gotta buy stuff from Japan? As for scotch I've been buying the Kirtland blended from Costco. Darn good for the price.

As for scotch I've been buying the Kirtland blended from Costco. Darn good for the price.
Kirkland blended is a knock-off of Dewars. On the bottle is says produced by Alexander Murray. Alexander Murray is a California company that buys Scotch from distilleries in Scotland and blends and bottles it for Costco, Trader Joe's, Total Wine and others.

Kirkland blended is a knock-off of Dewars. On the bottle is says produced by Alexander Murray. Alexander Murray is a California company that buys Scotch from distilleries in Scotland and blends and bottles it for Costco, Trader Joe's, Total Wine and others.
Hmm, interesting. Used to drink Dewars a long time ago. Thanks for the info.

When I was stationed in Japan/Okinawa in the 70's, we lived off-base for a year. My spouse at the time worked for Bank of America; hence, we were fortunate to meet, get to know, and spend much time with, many locals! We found out quite quickly that to get many local legal administrative tasks (car safety inspections, ownership paperwork, utility hook ups, etc. ) accomplished in a reasonable/timely manner; certain "favors" came in handy. In Latin I believe it's "Quid Pro Quo!" Our neighbors and friends at BoA aided us immensely through the nightmare bureaucratic mazes. nI return we learned very that Johnny Walker Red & Black, any American Bourbon, and of course, any American cigarettes were greatly appreciated (but never requested, that would have been impolite!).
I have tried Japanese whiskey; you may keep it! I'll stick to my Rye, Irish, and Scotch Single Malt! BTW...I prefer Grant's for my blended whisky as I love Balvenie Single Malt (made by the Grant's Distillery & contains a healthy amount of Balvenie!. FTRPLT

When I was stationed in Japan/Okinawa in the 70's, we lived off-base for a year. My spouse at the time worked for Bank of America; hence, we were fortunate to meet, get to know, and spend much time with, many locals! We found out quite quickly that to get many local legal administrative tasks (car safety inspections, ownership paperwork, utility hook ups, etc. ) accomplished in a reasonable/timely manner; certain "favors" came in handy. In Latin I believe it's "Quid Pro Quo!" Our neighbors and friends at BoA aided us immensely through the nightmare bureaucratic mazes. nI return we learned very that Johnny Walker Red & Black, any American Bourbon, and of course, any American cigarettes were greatly appreciated (but never requested, that would have been impolite!).
I have tried Japanese whiskey; you may keep it! I'll stick to my Rye, Irish, and Scotch Single Malt! BTW...I prefer Grant's for my blended whisky as I love Balvenie Single Malt (made by the Grant's Distillery & contains a healthy amount of Balvenie!. FTRPLT
So do we get to start calling you quid pro quo joe? Lol. When I was in Saudi in 90/91 with Bombardier, I could get alcohol on a pretty routine basis which bought a lot of favors, and frequent female companionship??? Yea...

So do we get to start calling you quid pro quo joe? Lol. When I was in Saudi in 90/91 with Bombardier, I could get alcohol on a pretty routine basis which bought a lot of favors, and frequent female companionship??? Yea...
You and I could probably trade some great Saudi stories!! Many of mine included pipes and pipe tobacco! When with the FAA, I spent much time working with Saudia Airlines in the late 90's and early 2000's. Lots of interesting things happened behind closed doors in "The Kingdom!!" Same goes for the UAE/Dubai, Bahrain, etc. All is not as it seems/appears!!!! FTRPLT

You and I could probably trade some great Saudi stories!! Many of mine included pipes and pipe tobacco! When with the FAA, I spent much time working with Saudia Airlines in the late 90's and early 2000's. Lots of interesting things happened behind closed doors in "The Kingdom!!" Same goes for the UAE/Dubai, Bahrain, etc. All is not as it seems/appears!!!! FTRPLT
You got that right. Yup, I do have some interesting stories, i.e. this one time at band camp, lol.