Noilly Prat Vermouth

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
For those who read the WSJ, there is a big article in the Personal section about NP vermouth. NOT GOOD NEWS!!!!! :affraid: The made for America dry vermouth will no longer be made!!! :( It is being replaced with the French version which is "herbier," sweeter, and opaque in color. :no: My beloved American dry Martini is threatened with extinction!! I have laid in a goodly supply of the current production while looking for a new "dry" vermouth. I understand there is one from California called "Vya." Anyone tried this one, or know anything about it??? "These are the times that try men's souls!" :evil: On my way to drown my sorrows with Plymouth gin and Noilly Prat! :cheers: FTRPLT

Sad to hear. We hardly use vermouth anymore though... maybe a drop. Usually put the Bombay Sapphire in the shaker along with a splash of the olive juice in the jar. Shake. Pour. Drink. Repeat.

Be a man.....get yourself a half gallon of Old Crow and forget about it!

:lol!:

I hear nothing but good stuff about Vya vermouth, though I haven't tried it myself. I use the Martini & Rossi, which ain't great, but is very predictable. And it's always around, since my girlfriend's regular drink is a vermouth cocktail (1/2 sweet, 1/2 dry, dash of bitters.)

Really, you're better off stocking up: using a teaspoon of vermouth in each martini, a 750 mL bottle has about 150 martinis' worth. If you bought a case of the current NP, you could drink like Robert Benchley for a few years before you had to find an alternative.

ftrplt":3dlt4s6g said:
For those who read the WSJ, there is a big article in the Personal section about NP vermouth. NOT GOOD NEWS!!!!! :affraid: The made for America dry vermouth will no longer be made!!! :( It is being replaced with the French version which is "herbier," sweeter, and opaque in color. :no: My beloved American dry Martini is threatened with extinction!! I have laid in a goodly supply of the current production while looking for a new "dry" vermouth. I understand there is one from California called "Vya." Anyone tried this one, or know anything about it??? "These are the times that try men's souls!" :evil: On my way to drown my sorrows with Plymouth gin and Noilly Prat! :cheers: FTRPLT
Vya is superb, but not always easy to find. Another option is Lillet Blanc. It's sweeter than the current Noilly Prat dry, with a wonderful, subtle floral note in addition to the other botanicals. I've been using it in my Martinis for a few months, and love it. If you make yours in the range of 1:16 to 1:12, it's great. If you're a fan of the 1:8 Martini, it's too sweet, at least to my taste.

It's a shame that NP is being Europeanized. It's been my dry vermouth of choice for a long, long time. I not only use it in cocktails, but also for cooking. When I make risotto, a splash of NP dry always goes in the pan before the stock gets ladled in. It perfumes the kitchen, and adds a beautiful dimension to the final result.

There's nothing wrong with the European "version" of the aperitif, but one more choice is being taken away from us, likely for purely economic reasons. *sigh*

-glp

Doc Manhattan":3y24fgjp said:
I hear nothing but good stuff about Vya vermouth, though I haven't tried it myself. I use the Martini & Rossi, which ain't great, but is very predictable. And it's always around, since my girlfriend's regular drink is a vermouth cocktail (1/2 sweet, 1/2 dry, dash of bitters.)
'tis a bit spendy, but your mate might enjoy Carpano Antica. It's my vermouth of choice for Manhattans, and makes a wonderful aperitif on its own. It's not as sugary sweet as the Martini or Cinzano sweets, and has a wonderfully complex aroma and flavour. It's magnificent stuff. Punt Y Mes ain't bad, either. In either case, you can forgo the bitters - they have enough character without having to add the Angostura.

-glp

Thanks for the tips! I did try, and really liked the one bottle of Punt y Mes I've tried... I used it in Negronis, and it made a teriffic drink. If Carpano Antica is in that style, I'll give it a try next time I'm at a liquor store with a good selection.

I'll continue to stock up on the current NP while it's still available. I do make my 'tinis at least 8:1, sometimes stronger. When I've been compelled to use M&R, or any sweeter vermouth, I do go up to 12/16:1!! I do enjoy a good James Bond/Ian Fleming Vesper; so Kina Lillet (rouge et blanc) is an option. The article recommended Boissier and Dolin dry vermouths; don't know that I've ever seen those. I'll check around!! And as for substituting Old Crow for my beloved Dry Martinis.....That would be like trading GLP Odyssey for something named "Walnut!!" :lol!: :pipe: FTRPLT

ftrplt":d3x8o340 said:
And as for substituting Old Crow for my beloved Dry Martinis.....That would be like trading GLP Odyssey for something named "Walnut!!" :lol!: :pipe: FTRPLT
Doh!!!!!!!!

:lol!: