Noise Complaint at Luke AFB, AZ

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
I thought this a very worthy story to share!

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by
civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its
planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were.

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the
back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote
the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed their
day at the mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB
officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the
morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M., a tight
formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall,
continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our
good fortune! Do the 'Tom Cruise-wannabes' feel we need this wake-up
call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyn's early
bird special? Any
response would be appreciated.'

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' (Letters, Thursday):

On June 15, at precisely 9:12 A.M., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby
of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew
over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air
Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and
was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 A.M. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland
Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and
friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because
of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the
playing of Taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques
as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the
United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who
understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those
who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional
aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter
writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate
respects. The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning
air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward
your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them
for you, for it was
in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of
their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus
Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul and liberty;
the other for your natural freedom.

(signed) Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

Just FYI, the original complainer wrote a followup letter of apology.

JP,

Great read and a good story. Being in the funeral service I know how much these traditions mean to friends and family of those who mourn.

I believe that is the one great thing about the american military, aside from the world police tag they recieve, is the feeling of honour and tradition that is still kept to this day.

Its nice to know people still know how to do it right. Also i find the officer who wrote that letter has very good writing skills and sounds like quite the diplomat.

P.S. I've been reading a lot of posts lately as i like to be kept in the loop and just wanted to say that perhaps you should invest in a keyboard with a key that types "walnut" for yourself as it seems you mention it quite frequently! :D :D

SmokeyTweed":lx4bue8q said:
P.S. I've been reading a lot of posts lately as i like to be kept in the loop and just wanted to say that perhaps you should invest in a keyboard with a key that types "walnut" for yourself as it seems you mention it quite frequently! :D :D
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Ain't that the truth! I noticed that too. JP has found a mind shield in the chemical makeup of Walnut, it protects you from Obamanation. :lol!:

I can respect the types of flyovers your article describes JP, which probably are not that often, we here in the mountains of SW VA get occasional flyovers of Air National Guard training missions, it's not that big of a deal. On the otherhand my inlaws live in Va Beach under the flight path for Ocenia (sp) Naval Air Base. They have been there for thirty years and up until the last few years it was mostly peaceful, but now some days are almost unbearable. They will do "Touch N Go" training, where they act as they are landing till the tires touch then gun it full blast and take off again. ALL DAY LONG!!! and into the night, for days on end. We went there for vacation in early August and they were going all but one or two days. My brother in law and I would be having a discussion on the patio and would have to pause mid-sentence several times per conversation, he just flips them off and shouts something deragatory at them. It does get old after awhile, my mother in law is a bit unstable anyway and I think this will push her over the edge. Many have been protesting it and they have been looking at moving inland but nobody else wants them either.

I've never been able to keep a dry eye when watching a "missing man" fly over. Bet the person who complained felt like a real heel but I have almost messed my pants before when a group of fighters came out of no where right off the deck so I can understand the initial reaction. :lol:

YES! Who do these mall-dwellers think protects their right to shop? :evil:

EJinVA":7om7ow6v said:
SmokeyTweed":7om7ow6v said:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Ain't that the truth! I noticed that too. JP has found a mind shield in the chemical makeup of Walnut, it protects you from Obamanation. :lol!:
What can I say Smokey and EJ? It is what I smoke 99% of the time and if I post in the "What are you smoking" thread the chances are 99% that I am going to type Walnut. That's ok with me though because everytime is like a brand new experience and only gets better each time. Ok PB I set you up or should I say I set myself up, so let me have it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh by the way, it does take the edge off of walking into the office first thing in the morning and having to listen to those dam* liberals!

:lol!:

Living just off base hear at Ft Knox I join the complainers... Who do these schmucks think they are flying helicopters, big old nasty airplanes... Firing rockets,canon and tank at all hours of the day and night.. Its enough to drive a man mad.. hurmf I have written to the base asking that they cease and desist the noise and mindless waste of fuel.. if they don't respond I think I will file suit to have the base moved 25 miles North/East/South/West of here so I don't have to deal with it...

Just kidding Army man.. Fire them 120's at will... Rocket pod the crap out of those targets... Fly 24/7.. THANK YOU!

I agree with the sentiments expressed here and add to the gratitude toward our armed forces.

Just wanted to add that whoever thinks noise at 9:12 AM constitutes a "wake up call":

a) probably doesn't have kids and

b) probably should get a job

-Andrew

Just a couple of things I would like to add.

At some point during the four ship "Missing Man Formation' flyby, usually directly over the gravesite or other location of the service, one of those aircraft will do a sharp 'break' out of the formation, normally the number three bird. That empty slot represents a warrior who will never again have the opportunity to go to the mall or loaf around on the patio, or anywhere else on this earth, with his or her spouse, children, parents, or anyone else.
As for training flights, operating high-perfomance aircraft, whether fixed or rotary wing, is a high risk operation in the best of situations. If returning from a mission weak due to loss of blood, with a damaged aircraft, or just plain exhausted due to the stresses of combat, these men and women need every minute of non-hostile training available to them in order to make a safe recovery.

Bd

Former SSgt USAF

Never Forget!

Bulldog Bruce":t3fgq1un said:
Just a couple of things I would like to add.

At some point during the four ship "Missing Man Formation' flyby, usually directly over the gravesite or other location of the service, one of those aircraft will do a sharp 'break' out of the formation, normally the number three bird. That empty slot represents a warrior who will never again have the opportunity to go to the mall or loaf around on the patio, or anywhere else on this earth, with his or her spouse, children, parents, or anyone else.
As for training flights, operating high-perfomance aircraft, whether fixed or rotary wing, is a high risk operation in the best of situations. If returning from a mission weak due to loss of blood, with a damaged aircraft, or just plain exhausted due to the stresses of combat, these men and women need every minute of non-hostile training available to them in order to make a safe recovery.

Bd

Former SSgt USAF

Never Forget!
Thank you Bruce!

If people in Phoenix think they have it bad because some F-16s did a fly-by, they better be glad they don't live in Norh Las Vegas. Nellis AFB is one of the bases we train our fighter pilots and host Red Flag. One fly-by is nothing compared to a week long of planes from around the world ripping through vegas. But then again, it could've been worse for that guy. This could've happened.... www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/10/airforce_nellis_mistakenbomb_101608w/

Red Flag- www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/10/airforce_redflag_exercise_101808/

Mr. Urik":u2zxc4sg said:
If people in Phoenix think they have it bad because some F-16s did a fly-by, they better be glad they don't live in Norh Las Vegas. Nellis AFB is one of the bases we train our fighter pilots and host Red Flag. One fly-by is nothing compared to a week long of planes from around the world ripping through vegas. But then again, it could've been worse for that guy. This could've happened.... www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/10/airforce_nellis_mistakenbomb_101608w/

Red Flag- www.airforcetimes.com/news/2008/10/airforce_redflag_exercise_101808/
Thank you Mr. Urik!

Hey Mr. Urik! I just now noticed that your companion has a pipe sitting on his head between the eyes. Cool! What was he thinking!?