non-flake "straight" virginias

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtaster

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
well, here goes. for lots of reasons (arthritic fingers, general codginess, whatever) i've backed off flake virginias.

i'm looking for straight (no perique, burley or whatever) viriginias in broken flake, shag cut, or other non-flake presentation

i like old gowrie, for instance. lots of good sweet virginia taste

can any of you suggest others i could try?

thanks, john

Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd
GL Pease - Union Square

several other likely candidates out there, but alas I have not tried them yet - I'm sure some brothers will have McClelland,Mac Baren, and Gawith on their lists...

Marlin Flake would seem to be a natural next step from OG. MF strikes me as a kind of 'big brother' of OG.

As for shag, I very much enjoy Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Dark Thick Cut (www.marscigars.com). It's much stronger than OG, but very easy to load and sip without burning too fast.

By the way, your Old Gowrie is not all-Virginia. It includes Kentucky and Perique as well. From the blender's website:
http://www.kohlhase-tobacco.com/site/index.php?id=158
RATTRAY‘S - BRITISH LINE
OLD GOWRIE
Erlesener, dunkler Virginia, Kentucky und ein Hauch Perique reifen in der Presse bis zu 3 Monaten, werden dann geschnitten und von Hand zerrieben.
....which Google translates as:

Exquisite, dark Virginia, Kentucky, and a touch Perique intervene in the press up to 3 months, then cut and ground by hand.
EDIT: Interestingly, this is their description (translated) of Marlin Flake:
This dark flake is composed of Dark Virginia, Cavendish and a hint of jet-black Perique.
I never would have thought of MF as a cavendish!!

Definitely 'Old Red' one of Scotty's blends from pipesandcigars.com. Soft, Sweet and very reasonably priced.

Have you tried Sam Gawith Medium Va Flake? It comes as a broken flake. Not the Nic hit like FVF but a good mild sweet smoke. I think the Golden Glow in the tin is the same thing.

A few more for your consideration not already mentioned--

C&D's #450 Ridin' the Raid; #457 Yorktown; Organic Pipe Dreams

Rattray's Brown Clunee

F&T's Black Jack

Wessex Brigade Classic Virginia

Jim

Try McClelland 5100. It's a bulk red cake that tastes pretty good and ages very well at six months. The flavor profile is similar to Old Gowrie with mild to medium strength and sweetness.

Warwick":odjp71iz said:
By the way, your Old Gowrie is not all-Virginia. It includes Kentucky and Perique as well. From the blender's website:
http://www.kohlhase-tobacco.com/site/index.php?id=158
RATTRAY‘S - BRITISH LINE
OLD GOWRIE
Erlesener, dunkler Virginia, Kentucky und ein Hauch Perique reifen in der Presse bis zu 3 Monaten, werden dann geschnitten und von Hand zerrieben.
....which Google translates as:

Exquisite, dark Virginia, Kentucky, and a touch Perique intervene in the press up to 3 months, then cut and ground by hand.
EDIT: Interestingly, this is their description (translated) of Marlin Flake:
This dark flake is composed of Dark Virginia, Cavendish and a hint of jet-black Perique.
I never would have thought of MF as a cavendish!!
How 'bout that. And Brown Clunee is :
Dunkler, zerriebener Flake aus Virginia, Kentucky und Perique.

I learned something useful today. Thanks Warwick!

thanks to everyone for generously sharing your experiences. and i too was surprised tol learn a couple of straight virginias have other components (tho i did suspect old gowrie had something else in the blend...perique being my first uneducated guess)!

i have a lot to think about

special thanks to ol' dawg for his input...i'm sure your thoughts were elsewhere.

john

You've got to try GLP Laurel Heights, one of the most complex Va blends I know.

Smokey Joe":cxiebah6 said:
Try McClelland 5100. It's a bulk red cake that tastes pretty good and ages very well at six months. The flavor profile is similar to Old Gowrie with mild to medium strength and sweetness.
Try mixing a half pound 5100 with 3 or 4 ounces of dark stoved Virginia like 5104 or Rattrays Dark Fragrant. Makes for a really great smoke!

I know it's a flake but for pure Va with a wonderful flavor and no bite you really ought to try Orlik Golden Flake. I love the stuff.