Non-Pipe, 1st try at a 3/4 tang knife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty

Reaction score
Soooo, I've done my chefs knife set for my kitchen using scales and rivets but I found a local maker of Damascus style steel blades and wanted to try my hand at a tang handle blade. Be gentle, this is my first try with this type of handle.  :lol:  I used Antler at the ends with ebony slices and kingwood in the middles. I will say it fits the hand rather nicely! :D

pieces and parts,

rough assembly,

Shaped and Polished!

Impressive. How is the tang secured to the handle?

Thanks all.

All of the pieces are mortised out to fit the tang, not so tight that you have to force it down with hammer but a snug fit. The first piece of antler did get tamped down then used a gap filling CA for the first piece, the rest get a liberal coating of 30 minute epoxy. A light clamp pressure to hold everything in place then cross your fingers! If you clamp it too tight you will squeeze out to much epoxy and weaken the joint. I also used a rough sandpaper to give the tang a bit of something for the glue to hold onto.

Pretty damn cool knife there. Better than I would ever do on a first try at a knife. The metal for the blade is awesome. Where do you get steel like that?

Again, nice work and very impressive.

Bob

Nice knife! Have seen the alabama damascus blanks online and looked into those guys. Cool guys one of the only places you can get USA made damascus blanks for a reasonable price.