Non System Brigham?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0ldManJenkins

Reaction score
I picked up this pipe on eBay recently, and enjoyed a few bowls of Virginia with it this weekend.   I really like it.

W3fJlQ8.jpg" style="width: 640px;height: 480px

But I'm not sure if I know exactly what I've got my hands on.  It does say Brigham, and the lettering looks to me, like the lettering on Pipedia for Brigham pipes:

PUWK9gl.jpg

But it does not accept the Brigham Rock Maple filter, the hole is too small.  The tenon is just slightly larger than a Rock Maple Filter, and the hole is definitely smaller.

qOZRNpJ.jpg" style="width: 320px;height: 240px

I read that Brigham was making pipes before he developed the Filter System, but could that be what this is?  Or do they still make non-system pipes?

According to the Brighampipes.com website, Italian-made pipes after 2002 were available as system (brass pins/dots on the stem) or non-system pipes (platinum pins/dots). Any dots on yours? Hard to tell from your pic.

Google tells me that the Brigham System was introduced in or about 1937, so another conceivable option for a non-system Brig is one made in Canada between 1906 and 1937. No idea what markings to look for on the pipe to identify one of these pre-system pipes, but If you've got one, I'm deeply envious!

Either way, congrats on the acquisition! My first pipe was a Canadian-made Brigham, and they were my dad's preferred pipe too!

Thanks for the info. There are no dots on it. The only marking is the word Brigham. It doesn't show signs of use, it's in really great shape if it were a pre 1937 pipe... Maybe it was re-stemmed, and the dots disappeared. But in that case, I would expect more signs of wear.

In any case, it's a nice pipe for me.