Not being able to smoke when you feel fine is killing me.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
It's been seven days since I have put my pipe down because of the surgery and it is killing me :bounce: . The doctor is afraid I can get ulcers along the incision where the stomach was seperated. He was honest in the fact he did not know if pipe smoking affects the incision like it does for cigarette smokers but he felt I should play it safe for awhile. Now if I can figure out just how long "awhile" is. I almost feel like using my laptop computer in the living room so I am not surronded by all of these pipes and blends that are screaming, smoke me, smoke me. Man recovery is tough. :lol!:

Hang in there Mike. The last thing you want is any kind of infection. concentrate on getting healed up, you'll be back to the briar in no time...

Mike,

I feel bad for you brother but you have come this far so don't take any chances now. The time will pass quickly and I am sure the doctor will release you to smoke soon. Besides, just think how good it is going to be!

Yes, hang in there, Mike. This just gives you more time to consider what the most satisfying first bowl could be. I'm guessing....wait...it's coming to me...something.....with...Latakia in it!

showme

Mike, the doctor did not say that you cannot chew on a cigar without lighting it. Enjoy, brother.

CP":vxwl35r9 said:
Mike, the doctor did not say that you cannot chew on a cigar without lighting it. Enjoy, brother.
The nicotine would still get into his blood stream.

Or carry an empty pipe around in your mouth. People used to do it all the time. A big group of estates I acquired had some unsmoked ones with a green stem from just that.

Mark, I don't think it is the nicotine in the system that is the problem, although I could be wrong. The way he (and another doctor) told me, it is the stuff in the actual smoke that attacks the incision and causes the ulcer. They are worried about me inhaling. I think I'll give Carlos's idea a try as I've never really been a cigar chewer.

That is a great suggestion Carlos.

Mike, you could even load it up with your favorite tobacco and get a little of the aroma along with it without lighting it.

Justpipes":25wljjnn said:

Mike, you could even load it up with your favorite tobacco and get a little of the aroma along with it without lighting it.
That might be taking it a bit too far. I think the temptation of lighting up would be too great. The empty pipe does sound like a good idea though.

Mike, take it slow and wait until the time is right. Enjoying the pipe too early might mean being unable to enjoy one for even longer if the ulcers appear. Hang in there Brother, and make a list of all the tobacco pipe combinations you think of. Then have fun catching up when you can enjoy. :D

Don't do it Mike! Just leave the room and keep it all out of sight and out of mind. You have come this far and a break will do you good anyway.

We're all pulling for you Mike! You can do it!!!!

"Not being able to smoke when you feel fine is killing me."

Mike,
Slam your hand in the door a couple of times and you won't feel so good.
That will take your mind off of not being able to smoke.

I think that is called reverse engineering.

Seriously, It's good to hear you are feeling fine, so why take chances with complications?

Mike

jeepernick":bk6a88ix said:
Justpipes":bk6a88ix said:

That might be taking it a bit too far. I think the temptation of lighting up would be too great. The empty pipe does sound like a good idea though.

Mike, take it slow and wait until the time is right. Enjoying the pipe too early might mean being unable to enjoy one for even longer if the ulcers appear. Hang in there Brother, and make a list of all the tobacco pipe combinations you think of. Then have fun catching up when you can enjoy. :D
You are absolutely right Jeeper. It probably would be too great a temptation.

Mike, just looking at the yak photo in Mark's last post might be enough to take your mind off anything. No wonder the Mongols invaded the west--for better food and better looking animals.

Mike, I know what you are going through. I was in the same boat after my open heart surgery, the only difference was that I was so sick I wouldn't have been able to smoke even if I could. But as Lady Muleskinner kept reminding me it was better to wait than to smoke too early and have to go back into the hospital again with post-surgery complications. I can tell you for sure that first bowl after not smoking for so long it will be one of the best ever! Hang in there, wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. Oh, by the way if your hospital bills aren't big enough to make you not to want to smoke, I can send you my hospital bills and that should do the trick for sure.

John "Muleskinner"

LOL, I haven't gotten the bills yet but you are probably right in the fact that's when I will feel the sickest. No I don't want to trade because I'm sure yours along with the surgery was much more severe. Got the PM and thanks. As a side question; How long after the surgery did you have to wait before that first bowl.

I was in the hospital about 2 weeks. I can't remember for sure exactly when I smoked the first bowl but I am sure I waited over a month before I tried to smoke the first bowl. I don't know if it was related to the medications, anethesia or that I just felt so bad but that first bowl tasted bad. I smoked very little for the first 3 months. The tobacco started tasting right again after about two and a half months. Of course, your surgery is a different type of surgery than I had so I don't know how it will affect you. Good Luck and God Bless You, Muleskinner "John".