Not sure where else to ask this...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draagha

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Next Day shipping is the same as Overnight? I.E. If my order ships out at 3, would I receive it the following day?

I tried google searching it and asking CI but received no answer.

Thanks folks. :oops:

Draagha, most companies have a cut off time in the afternoon for packages leaving. I suppose if you made the cut off time, your package would be delivered the next day. CI is really good about shipping in a timely manner. I bet if you give them a call early this morning, you can find out if your package was shipped out yesterday afternoon.

Thanks Dutch. I read that their shipping time is 3pm, so if I order before then I should get it the next day, which is good because my supplies are dangerously low.

And when my supplies get low, I overpay at the local B&M, and then the missus gets mad at me.

It's a vicious cycle. :lol: 

Heya Buddy, if your order was placed before 3pm then it should arrive next day, if it was placed 'at' 3pm then I wouldn't expect it next day, I know it works that way in the UK but cannot say for shipments in the US of course, hope it arrives quickly for you.

If you are stocking up, the Pipes and Cigars catalog came yesterday and their "Signature" Hearth and Home in 1/2 pound cans are buy two get one free. This is quite a deal if you like any of these. I am fond of a number of their blends. I am smoking Louisiana Red right now. The last bowl was Old Companion.

I'm pretty sure Next Day shipping means your order would be shipped the following day, but that it didn't have anything to do with when it would arrive. It's fancy lingo for "Hey, we'll get this order put together and ready to ship asap."

ETA: I could be wrong, but that's been my experience.

It depends on the arrangement and shipping service provider the company uses.   If you place your order at 3PM, it may take two hours to pick your order.  If they knock off at 5PM, you're boned, it'll get packed up the next day.  Most small operations (that use FedEx, UPS or USPS) only have one outgoing pickup, and it's at the end of the day. Medium to large operations could have two or three.

This lack of understanding how goods processing and logistics work makes impatient Internet consumers really upset sometimes.   Many treat the experience as if the world is a vending machine. Insert digital money, push button, get product.  Any delay is seen as incompetence.  

To add, being a former UPS employee, let's say this:  the timeframe title you were suckered into buying means nothing.   "Overnight"  and "Next Day" are loose interpretations of how soon you think (or at what time of day you think) the package is being shipped.  It's quite frequent to have boxes end up days late.  Yes, there is a refund process involved, but it is usually from the shipper and not the receiver of the package.  And good luck with almost any retailer following through with doing that for you.  

Another little known fact:  any package claiming to go by "air"  "plane"  or other such lofty (heh) title, unless it's more than 500 miles, probably goes by truck.  

I have no idea why consumers pay for "quick shipping options."   Here's a fun experiment, if you're loaded with spare income:  place three orders with the same outfit that ships from the same location.  Have one come standard.  Have one come 2 - 3 day guarantee.  Have another come overnight.   See what happens.   Most likely outcome, two out of three will be there in two days, the last one a day or two later.  

Lack of patience and planning is profitable stuff.    

8)

When I buy from tins CI, I always choose the $4.00 slow boat to California option. It usually arrives much quicker than they say it will.

Since you're on the East Coast, you'll get it even quicker i would imagine.

I got a reply from CI this morning saying if I "next day" ship that if I place my order by 3 I'd have it the next day. I'm gonna go ahead and trust that since its only about a 15hr trip to PA from me, that I'll receive it next day for sure. Thanks for the responses folks. Still haven't been paid though so I'm gonna have to wait a few more days anyways :cry: 

Warehouses are run exactly like kitchens--good ones are clean, efficient, and filled with folks working their arses off. The other main thing is time expectations: waitresses or sales reps under-promising on time frames and arrival of goods, be they a med-rare steak or the correct watch in the mail, are doing the customer a favor, especially when it arrives earlier than expected. Makes 'em look like professionals.