notes from a novice

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
Well, I've been smoking my new Savinelli and MM corn cob for a week now and thought I'd share my experience. I bought my pipes and some tobacco from a not-so-local B&M in Sacramento last Sunday. I got 2 oz. each of their re-branded 1-Q and Dorchester (Esoterica?). The first few days I was enjoying th 1-Q and not having much fun with the Dorchester (a vaper, I believe). After following some advice on smoking technique from the kind members here, I have come to really prefer the Dorchester. I like it so much that I've ordered another vaper from the same blender (Dunbar) and an English blend (Squadron Leader), some more 1-Q, a little McClellands VBC, and two more Savinelli pipes. Before I started this foray into pipe smoking I was smoking a pack of cigarettes a day and not really enjoying it at all. I haven't had a cigarette since I got my pipes and don't seem to miss them a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Kim

Good to read of your favorable start up experience. I'm sure it brings back memories for many of us. I only started on the pipe a few years ago myself. Like you I was switching. My switch was from good hand rolled Dominican and Cuban cigars. I still have 2 humidors full of them. I tried a cigar about two years ago and just didn't enjoy it. Enjoy the piping. May you never look back on the weeds.

Two words for Sacramento guys (or thereabouts):

Tobacco Road.

Great place that is.

Glad you're havin' good luck with the pipes, RC.

8)

It's great to hear you have discovered tobacco smoking in it's original form, even better that you don't miss the cigarettes. I'm sure you're money spent on pipes and quality tobacco's will leave you more satisfied and fulfilled. :cheers:

Glad you were able to make the
transition and leave the cigarettes behind.
I haven't had one in almost 34 years.

Glad you're enjoying yourself! Those Savinellis are really great smokers...sounds like you've got a nice selection ahead of you--have fun with it, and always keep in mind that one blend is never wholly indicative of a style (ie, don't write off English blends even if the Squadron Leader isn't your thing!). Happy puffing...

Great to read your story! I am just getting through the first few bowls with my Sav (Bings Favorite) and am really enjoying this pipe. I was a naughty boy and am starting mine out with some Christmas Cheer 2012 a little early and am really loving it.

I don't use the balsa filters though, do you?

P.S.

It is great to see all of the local and semi locals here!

my little sav sitter is one of my best smoking pipes. smokes better than my $200 Peterson Sherlock Holmes Baker Street. that is probably just because the Peterson is still breaking in though. good to see more new pipe smokers in NorCal. I'm a bit south of you in Palo Alto. people look at me like i'm a weirdo when i walk my dog and smoke a pipe around town. also, Dunhill Nightcap was the English that got me excited about English blends. And HH dark fired, but that's a different beast. the dark fired has hella nicotine in it though, so make sure you ate first.