Nut Brown Burley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronxbill

Reaction score
For you fans of this tobacco... I read on another forum that Carol will no longer ship this to new customers. She doesn't think she will be able to get the ingredients much longer and doesn't want new customers to try it, like it and then not be able to get it.
You might want to get an order in just in case

bronxbill":hspqnw07 said:
For you fans of this tobacco... I read on another forum that Carol will no longer ship this to new customers. She doesn't think she will be able to get the ingredients much longer and doesn't want new customers to try it, like it and then not be able to get it.
You might want to get an order in just in case
Jimmy Muraco reported some time back that the current Nut Brown was anything but this age old favorite. He likened it to a bag full of putrid dust or something to that effect. I have no reason not to believe him, so I wasn't going to order it anyway.

Very true. I have 3 pounds of what is named "Nut Brown Burley" yet it is only similar in name...the stuff burns hot, sour and harsh. The cut is different and is mostly dust and a few strands...the "cubes" are like dried pastina. Tragic as I lived for that blend. I mourn it's loss.

Two good alternatives I have found are Boswell's "Main Street Burley" and McClelland's bulk X-10 plain unflavored burley ribbon.

JMuraco":knjkbqkl said:
Two good alternatives I have found are Boswell's "Main Street Burley" and McClelland's bulk X-10 plain unflavored burley ribbon.
I like X-10 burley and use it in blending.

The loss of Nut Brown Burley is really sad to hear. I noticed on her website that it is no longer listed for sale. I wish now that I had stocked up a few years ago, but I got side tracked with smoking VAs. Anyway, I did find that Stokkebye's cube cut burley is a very fine smoke in its own right. You might want to try it as it doeesn't have the humectants like most of the Lane's, McClelland's, or Altadis' burleys

Jim

I have e-mailed Carole to get the straight info on this. I will post what she says as soon as I hear back.

In the meantime, here is what to do to stretch your existing stash of NBB:

1. Get some quart-sized mason jars
2. Get a few pounds of McClelland X-10 unflavored burley ribbon (light fluffy coconut-brown leaf...great stuff!)
3. Mix one jar's worth of X-10 with one handful of NBB
4. Fill jar with this mixture and seal it up
5. Repeat for the remaining jars...remember...only one handful of NBB for each quart of X-10 is all you need.
6. After about 3-6 months you will have a great burley that smells and tastes like NBB.

If you use pint jars, all you need is a large pinch of NBB. Remember to mix well. I have done this a few times and it works out really well, in fact, the hybrid seems to smoke a bit cooler and the flavor is more subdued. Using this method can make that one pound of NBB into 10!

I just received a reply from Carole. Here it is in it's entirety:

"The future availability is tentative, so I have pulled it from the tobacco page until it is resolved."

So there you have it. I still know nothing more than I did before the response. :x