Nut Brown Burley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey422

Reaction score
This is a blend from Pipeworks and Wilke of Montpelier, VT. The website is at www.vtpipes.com. The proprietor is a nice lady named Carole Burns who also does all the tobacco blending. In fact, I believe she pretty much runs a one woman show as there are no other employees. Orders must be placed by phone, the number is on the website.

Nut Brown Burley has a mottled appearance of medium to darker browns and a cube cut. It's pouch aroma is devine, I have never smelled a better tobacco in the pouch. Due to it's cut, it packs, lights, and burns exceedingly well. It's room aroma is very pleasant. Carole says no sweeteners are added to this blend, but I can't help but suspect that it's top dressed with something.

The taste is a toasted nutty burley flavor with a slightly sweet undertone that I really enjoy. This is one of my favorite burley blends and I've smoked it for years. I should note that I've heard a rumor that recent batches are not as good as the older ones and that Carole said that it is due to a difference in the tobaccos she is now getting. It might be a good idea to order a sample before committing to a full pound. Carole has many other blends, including some very good aromatic and English blends and does offer a sampler deal.

NBB is not an economical tobacco. Presently a pound of it costs $37.50: half pound and four oz. quantities are available also. This definitely places it in the premium category of tobacco bulk blends.

Overall I give Nut Brown Burley an enthusiastic thumbs up, with the caveat that anyone new to it should make sure the new version is not inferior to the old one.

Smokey

Thanks for the review Smokey.

New version inferior to the old one.....

I take it this means it has recently changed?

smokey422":naifap8z said:
...anyone new to it should make sure the new version is not inferior to the old one...
Smokey:

Beggin' your pardon, sir, but if one is new to it, how does one go about making sure the new version is not inferior to the old? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Vito :joker:

Vito":17n0e7te said:
smokey422":17n0e7te said:
...anyone new to it should make sure the new version is not inferior to the old one...
Smokey:

Beggin' your pardon, sir, but if one is new to it, how does one go about making sure the new version is not inferior to the old? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Vito :joker:
That's a good question, Vito, never thought of it that way. You got me with that one!

Smokey

Stormcrow":2fi1fajw said:
Thanks for the review Smokey.

New version inferior to the old one.....

I take it this means it has recently changed?
Stormcrow, this is not something I have personally experienced, but have read from two different sources. I laid in a good supple about three years ago and am still smoking on it. I'm in my last pound now so I guess I'll be finding out one of these days.

Smokey