NY Pipe Show March 14th 2009

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EJinVA":51ay87hv said:
Can anyone supply us a list of pending vendors? or is it too early to know for sure?
That list is rarely released til' the last minute EJ. From past shows I'd say that Smoker's Haven. John B.Hayes, Hermit Tobacco Works, James Island Piper, BAC Art Pipes, Ron Collter and Monjure International will all be in da' house. They'll be others of course but these folks seem to come to EVERY show in Newark

Danish_Pipe_Guy":1ykhyfvi said:
EJinVA":1ykhyfvi said:
Can anyone supply us a list of pending vendors? or is it too early to know for sure?
That list is rarely released til' the last minute EJ. From past shows I'd say that Smoker's Haven. John B.Hayes, Hermit Tobacco Works, James Island Piper, BAC Art Pipes, Ron Collter and Monjure International will all be in da' house. They'll be others of course but these folks seem to come to EVERY show in Newark
Thanks Dock, I've never been to a pipe show and want to know what to expect (i.e. how much cash to bring :D ).

EJinVA":8q45g112 said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":8q45g112 said:
EJinVA":8q45g112 said:
Thanks Dock, I've never been to a pipe show and want to know what to expect (i.e. how much cash to bring :D ).
Last year I went with a whole lotta money and went home with barely enough cash to fill up my tank for the drive home! :lol: I was able to do this because I sold off around a hundred lower grades on e-bay for a couple of months leading up to the show. This year I won't be buying nearly as much. I do hope to ad a Brad Pohlman and a Jess Chonowitch. I'm also in the market for a new pipe lighter and some Hermit Tobacco Works tins to cellar away. This could all change if a Nana Ivarsson or a Kurt Balleby OO grade shows up. In that case there's always my gold card! :p

Well.... It's coming in a hurry! Just a week from Saturday now! I've been unable to find a list of vendors though. Show organizer Sam Barnett usually posts them over on ASP but hasn't done so yet for some reason. With the economy in the shape that it's in it makes me wonder just how many vendors/buyers are gonna show up! Some might ask, are folks still blowing several hundred dollars a wack on smoking pipes when we're in the biggest financial tailspin since 1989? Yes! They sure are! E-Bay prices on all pipes have gone up signifigantly this year. Smokingpipes.com and Marty Pulvers sites both seem to be doing very good business. Two pipes that I was eyeing on smokingpipes dissapeared within a half hour of their posting (and they weren't cheap neither) The lagging economy just hasn't really affected the pipe collector's world yet....

Does anyone have experience taking public transport from Manhattan to the location? Are there buses? When I hear "new jersey" I'm thinking probably not.

Niceguy, it's actually very easily accessed from the NJ Transit commuter rail station's Newark Airport stop. Depart from NY Penn Station. You walk across a large parking lot between the two, and there you are. It's hard to explain in words, but Google maps will show you how close the hotel is to the stop. (Newark Airport is also an Amtrak stop, but at a higher price.)

May I add that a hotel shuttle did run to the Newark Airport site if that helps, at least it did when the hotel was still Ramada now changed to Wyndham, it's worth a call to the hotel to find out for free transportation.

Show organizer Sam Barnett Posted this over on ASP this evening. Here's more or less who'll be there this Saturday....

Here is a semi- complete lst of the exhibitors as I haven't gotten one
lately from Rich:

James Island Piper
John Hayes
Colm Magner
Monjure International
BacArt (Marek)
Smokers Haven Columbus
Cheasapeake Pipe
The Piperack - Michael Lindner
Atlier Rolando
The Smoker (Mel Feldman)
Pipe to smoke -Maxim Engel
Hermit Tobacco
Andy Camire
Tim Hynick
Joe Skoda
Eugene Smolar
Fred Goldring
Harold Suretsky
Bob Palermo
Rich Esserman
Ron Colter
Sam Barnett

Well JP it's about time to put together the Northern Expeditionary Force. You get the muskets n I'll get the whisky :twisted: :cheers:

EJinVA":qy720spn said:
Well JP it's about time to put together the Northern Expeditionary Force. You get the muskets n I'll get the whisky :twisted: :cheers:
Locked and loaded!!! :D

I'll see ya Friday morning!

A nice turnout from the Brotherhood at the show. It was a distinct pleasure to meet some of our Southern contingent (EJ & JP), as well as two other Doc[k]s (Perry & Watson).

Left a little lighter in the wallet--in some part because I managed to screw up my return train ticket--but nonetheless richer for the experience.