NY Pipe Show March 8, 2014

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Wydham shows up via google, this is the correct hotel, right?
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport

550 Route 1 South
Newark, NJ 07114 US
1-973-824-4000

riff raff":804yl5gw said:

550 Route 1 South
   Newark, NJ 07114 US
   1-973-824-4000
That is it Al. DAVE

herbinedave":ue87ufg6 said:
riff raff":ue87ufg6 said:

550 Route 1 South
   Newark, NJ 07114 US
   1-973-824-4000
That is it Al.  DAVE

Yes, that's the correct hotel.

Lou

Sure wish I lived closer and was able to attend. I'm officially jealous!

Take lots of pics guys. Can't wait to live vicariously through all of you.

Cheers,

RR

Where will the meet and greet happen? I'll look for a sign, but I can't figure out if it will be at the show, smoking area, JR cigar? I'm really looking forward to the show and hope to meet some of you there!
Mike.

MichaelM":tvpz2qba said:
Where will the meet and greet happen?  I'll look for a sign, but I can't figure out if it will be at the show, smoking area, JR cigar?  I'm really looking forward to the show and hope to meet some of you there!
Mike.
MM - the Newark Show isn't that big, so it will be easy enough to spot each other. The weather looks to be pretty good, so the smoking atrium will have a few of us testing away.

There will be a bunch of members from the NY Pipe Club - they will probably be wearing hats and shirts marked with the club logo. I know most of them and if you see one, just ask them to point me out. I can steer you to the perpetrators of the meet'n greet.

Likewise, at JR's later, us pipers will be bunched around the corner of the room we manage to nab.

hp
les

Well, unfortunately (for me) things didn't go as planned. My wife was not feeling well, so I decided on a tactical strike rather than a full day event. I only spent about 30 minutes at the show but scored a beautiful Tim Hynick pipe. More on that in another post once I get a picture. Sorry I didn't get to meet anyone, and I hope you all had a great time!
Mike.

Well, that was a long but fulfilling day! Seven hours in the car for me, but worth every minute!

Lou and the NYC guys - what a great show, it was better than I had even anticipated. My hats are off to the club for their work to pull this off, I'm sure it is quite a job.

I took a few pictures, met a lot of old pipe friends and even met some new ones. I was finally able to meet my buddy Dave J and enjoy a few bowls. Fortunately the weather was terrific, allowing for some outside smoking at the venue. A bunch of guys also ended up at JR Cigars. Dave and I took the long way, but found our way to the shop.

I took some pictures here:
https://s1295.photobucket.com/user/upshallfan/slideshow/Misc%20Pipes/NYC%20Show%202014

My picture with Dave somehow didn't take, but he took one, I'm hoping his turned out.

I hadn't anticipated getting a pipe, but found this wonderful Sasieni Four Dot that I'll restore shortly.

These kind of events are really an important aspect of the hobby for myself. The opportunity to meet and interact with forum folks is really a blessing.

Thanks for the photos Al. Many recognizable faces there for sure. Second time I have missed the Newark show since its inception in 1993. But instead I'll wait for the Chicago extravaganza. Cutting back on shows and expenses lately. It looks like only Chicago, Richmond and Las Vegas will be my venues to enjoy this year. Just didn't feel like another 8 hour round trip for a 1 day show.
The Sasieni looks great and I'm sure it will be a fantastic smoke. It doesn't look like it needs any restoration from the photo, nice pipe for sure.

docwatson":310vq0r0 said:
Thanks for the photos Al. Many recognizable faces there for sure. Second time I have missed the Newark show since its inception in 1993. But instead I'll wait for the Chicago extravaganza. Cutting back on shows and expenses lately. It looks like only Chicago, Richmond and Las Vegas will be my venues to enjoy this year. Just didn't feel like another 8 hour round trip for a 1 day show.
The Sasieni looks great and I'm sure it will be a fantastic smoke. It doesn't look like it needs any restoration from the photo, nice pipe for sure.
Missed this and I just PM'd you - you were missed. Seven hours in the car did take their toll on my last night and I wasn't up for "dancing" when I got home!

The Sasieni is an easy restore and in process now.

I'll look forward to seeing you in Richmond.

Here is my photo, glad it came out Al.
P1000152_zps6fdf56d9.jpg

Here are my purchases.  First I bough a 2001 Larry Roush Rusticated Dublin.  The other pipe in the pic is a lightly used Kaywoodie Freehand from 2007.
P1000153_zps7ca5513a.jpg

Next up are an Ed Burak Connoisseur Pipe Shop Oompaul and then a ComoY's London Pride with killer birdseye.
P1000154_zps201573d2.jpg

Lastly a Dunhill No. 1 Tobacco collection with early 50g tins of 5 tobaccos.
P1000156_zps769d46c5.jpg

P1000157_zps161966e2.jpg

Nice to finally meet Al & Dave at the show.
I was a little disappointed by the vendor turn out, but the lunch & smokes at JR Cigars more than made up for it!

This was my purchase, A Tim Hynick "Scoop":

DSC03158.jpg

This is my little haul; 1 cumberland Dunhill(couldn't wait and ended up smoking on the way home), 2 NASPC blends(2008 and 2013), F&T Blackjack and an older Presbyterian tin. I Had alot of fun at the show and after at J&Rs. It was nice to meet some of the NY club guy too!

riff raff":8heio1qc said:
I love that Cumberland and it was good to see you again Zack!
Same, Im glad you were able to made it  :) 

DoverPipes":3k2orcyn said:
Nice to finally meet Al & Dave at the show.
I was a little disappointed by the vendor turn out, but the lunch & smokes at JR Cigars more than made up for it!

This was my purchase, A Tim Hynick "Scoop":

Sean,
That's a super looking scoop style pipe that you bought from Tim. I only have one of his pipes and it's a super smoke.
AC