NY Pipe Show Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
Good evening Brothers,
Just got home from the NY Pipe Show and wanted to relay the great time I had to those who attended and those who were unable to go. Left Maryland around 2:00 Fri afternoon with two other guys from the Chesapeake Club and made the 3 hour trek to the show. Arrived around 5 and after unpacking, enjoyed a nice dinner in the hotel's restaurant. Spent some of the evening hanging out with Rich Esserman, members of the Chesapeake Club, and a few guys that came out from St. Louis. The remainder of the evening was spent in our hotel room smoking some well aged tobacco, drinking some fine beer, and listening to some relaxing music. Kicking back Fri night with my fellow Brothers, enjoying each other's company, and anticipating the show, was probably my favorite part of the whole weekend. Pipe smoking is truly a great hobby that supports camaraderie and fellowship, which one of the aspects I most enjoy!
After hitting the sack relatively early, we got up arond 7:30 and enjoyed another great meal at the hotel's restaurant. For hotel style food, the grub is pretty decent at the hotel and the price isn't too shabby either. We got into the show a few minutes before 10 and helped our club to set up our table. After circling the room a half dozen times or so, I finally settled on a nice pot shape Posella that Lucca was selling at the Radice table. At $150, I thought that the pipe was a steal, and between the beautiful rustication and it being my favorite pipe shape, I was extremely satisfied with the purchase. While I didn't pick up any more pipes the remainder of the show, I made it a point to socialize with as many of the vendors as possible and was also fortunate enough to meet several Brothers, including Lou (skaukatt), Sean (doverpipes), Les (lestrout), and Andy (docwatson). Gentleman, it was a pleasure meeting all of you and I only wish we had been afforded the luxury of being able to smoke at the show so that we could have sat down and enjoyed a pipe together. Aside from the Brothers that I met, I had a nice time chatting with Russ Ouelette, and was able to grab a couple samples of his fine blends, included his newest English "Cerberus". I smoked some on the ride home and believe me when I say that it is a wonderful, full-bodied English, with some Kentucky thrown in that really amps up the blend!
Additionally, I spent some time talking to the wonderful Louise from Hermit Tobacco, my old pal Steve Monjure at the Monjure International Table, Bob Herbert and Mel, and numerous other folks! I think that the vibe at this year's show was very positive compared to the last few years. Maybe it was the sunny weather (rained the last couple years), or maybe it was a better turn out than recent years. Whatever it was, I left the show feeling reaffirmed about this great hobby. There are so many wonderful people out there in the pipe community and everyone comes from different walks of life. Whether someone is a CEO or a ditch digger, everyone is on the same plane at a pipe show. In closing, I just want to say to everyone on here that may be up in the air about going to a show that is near by or perhaps a 3 or 4 hour drive. PLEASE GO!!! As long as we stand together as a community and attend the shows, they will continue to take place! I think that this is a very important message and I hope all of you will attend shows this year and support the pipe community.

Thanks,
Scott

Don't let him off that easy Dave.. we need pics.. especially of pipes and pipe world celebs..

Quit holding out on us man, we know you got 'em

puros_bran":zrqjjg6b said:
Pics or it didn't happen.
Sorry, I used up all my phone's memory taking pics of me and that Peterson that I bought off of Mattia76 :twisted:

Now weres that bann button???

Hmm Edit, Quote, Temporary Ban, Permenant Ban, Move Topic, Merge Topic.. whic one is it I'm supposed to hit? I'm sooooo forgetful. :twisted:

Scott,
Nice report and it was a pleasure to meet you at the show. I just got back after a 4 hour trip home myself. Like you say, the attendance this year was superb in comparison to the last couple years. I believe the reason that they finally figured that 3 or 4 shows a year just didn't work. Having this one show in March was like the old days when the hall was filled with folks. It's a good feeling to see a well attended show with so many happy faces.
Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Mattia, I didn't roam the hall very much being attentive to my wares and spending more time at my table speaking with some interesting collectors.
I'm already looking forward to the next big show that I'll attend in Chicago.
Cheers,
Andy

Sounds like a great time Scott. I can't agree with you more when you say that we all need to stick together as a pipe smoking community...these types of pipe shows must go on!!

puros_bran":wob7lw6m said:

Hmm Edit, Quote, Temporary Ban, Permenant Ban, Move Topic, Merge Topic.. whic one is it I'm supposed to hit? I'm sooooo forgetful. :twisted:
It's right next to the spell check button :lol:

scottbtdmb":t6scipj1 said:
puros_bran":t6scipj1 said:

:lol!:

Great report, my MGB motor kept me from attending. I enjoyed some of the new Russ English Tuesday night up in Albany, wonderful stuff!

Any show pix?

riff raff":68yivfk1 said:
Great report, my MGB motor kept me from attending. I enjoyed some of the new Russ English Tuesday night up in Albany, wonderful stuff!

Any show pix?
All kidding aside, I didn't take any pics. I was too busy between socializing with people and trying to figure out what to buy that it never crossed my mind. Sean (doverpipes) was talking about taking some video of the show, but I don't think that he was able to, as people were starting to pack up an hour before the show's end. I do know that Louise from Hermit Tobacco generally will post pictures from all of the pipe shows on their website. It's www.pipestyle.com. I would imagine within a week or two she will post pictures if she did take some.

-Scott

Thanks for the report. I always like to know what goes on in all those pipe shows and events.

scottbtdmb":nl25fkbl said:
Sean (doverpipes) was talking about taking some video of the show, but I don't think that he was able to, as people were starting to pack up an hour before the show's end.
Nope, no vids or pics.
Got all the way down to the show and realized that my camera didn't have an SD card! :x Someone at home must have pulled it to download pics and forgot to stick it back in. Sorry fellas!

It was a great show. Much better than the last few. I was nice to see you Scott. Too bad you didn't get to go to JR Cigars (in Whippany, NJ) after the show. We pretty much closed the place. Good times and great smokes!

Thanks goes out to Lou (Skaukatt) and the rest of the NY Pipe Club along with Les (Lestrout) of Philadelphia's "Morley's Pipe Club". Nice getting to meet some new faces and some old ones too!

scottbtdmb":7gbtzp05 said:
puros_bran":7gbtzp05 said:

Ouch! :lol:

Also, there was obviously some issue with solar flares versus technology preventing us from knowing exactly happened, or it's just a farce. :p

8)

Kyle Weiss":had3cfzr said:
scottbtdmb":had3cfzr said:
puros_bran":had3cfzr said:

Ouch! :lol:

Also, there was obviously some issue with solar flares versus technology preventing us from knowing exactly happened, or it's just a farce. :p

8)
LOL. Yeah, just a little bit of friendly banter between myself and Mark. I may have to send him a peace offering in the mail. I can't decide whether to send an olive branch or an olive wood pipe... :lol:

-Scott