NYC Pipe Club Meeting - 12-14-11

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
As promised in my James Upshall thread, I did make it to NYC for the pipe club meeting last night. I travel and work in Secaucus NJ occasionally and I have been trying to coordinate with a meeting of the New York City Pipe Club. Last night, I was finally able to attend a meeting. Wow, what a great night. I've never been to any pipe club, let alone one with the history of the NYC club. The meeting/dinnner is held monthly at "Florios" on Grand Street. I rode the train into the city, than grabbed the D-line to the restaurant, not too bad travel-wise for this rusty NYC traveler.

Dinner was downstairs, than the group went upstairs to the wonderful cigar bar. The room itself was full of collectibles, a lot from the city, but it was so crowded and busy, I didn't have much of a chance to take in any of the display cases. I will do that on a future visit.

I'm terrible with names, but everyone was incrediby hospitable towards me. It didn't hurt that I brought a big bag of tobacco and blends from Boswells. A tin of the new Sobranie and FVF were big hits and I gather hard to come by. One member bought the rest of the Sobranie tin from me, smoke it well! Member Romeowood was in attendance, but I was never able to work my way around to that part of the room for very long. If a member is in the pictures, let us know.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I stayed well past my deadline and missed my shuttle back to the hotel but fortunately I was able to hail a cab. You don't want to walk a few miles back to the hotel in Secaucus!

I saw some wonderful pipes. One member had quite a few Russian artisan pipes and a J Allan creation. To this point, I've never seen much less held a pipe of this stature. The doctor seated beside me (Martin) had two wonderful Chartans and is apparently quite a collector of that brand.

Pictures:

Tell more!

And yes, I hear Secaucus is a bit rough... :lol: Maybe not at noon... or maybe so...

Al, thanks again for the great review and thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate that my friend.

Believe me, it was my pleasure and an honor to have met you and I am so glad that you had a chance to visit the club and share an evening with us! What a wonderful time of year to visit my fair city! The Holiday Season is in full swing in Manhattan. I'm glad you enjoyed the evening; they're a really great bunch of fellas in which I am proud to call my brothers and serve as their president. You chose the perfect night to join us as we had a really great turn out with about 5 new gents joining us including yourself. You are so right, the lounge was mobbed and I am always grateful for good turnouts. Thank you again for being so generous with your tobaccos as I know they went over really huge especially the Balkan Sobranie reissue and the SG FVF, they were delicious! Thank you for the photos as well.

Please be sure to come on back anytime fate finds you in our fair city. As always, we meet the second Tues. of every month so if your travels coincide, we'd love to share a bowl with you again, bring friends from Maryland!

Thanks again for the kind words and I'm so glad you had a good time. It's a great bunch of guys!

Lou

This stands in stark contrast to the "Bike Night" event I try to make in Passiac on Wednesday nights during the summer (Rhutt's Hutt, hot dog stand). Someone always gets arrested there....quite a different group of gents at this gathering!

I ran thru Macy's in the attempts to find my wife a "Macy's Christmas 2011" ornament, but they were sold out. Luckily, I had hedged my bet and hat a co-worker pick one up last week just in case I didn't make it. She'll be pleased with that, whew.

Maybe one day, I'll get down there Lou........ :p
How are you after the "contest pipe tobacco"?
IT SCORCHED ME!!!! :evil: :evil:

DoverPipes":e8tnqpqk said:
I brought some Fireside with me, but no one partook of that blend...
One member, Carlos, I believe did have one of the contest Kaywoodie bulldogs, wow, what a striking pipe.

DoverPipes":chjib80f said:
I think every time I have entered a contest I've wound up with a scorched tongue, for me it's almost a given no matter the blend! I would like the try that blend under calmer circumstances!

Open invitation to any and all to join us at a monthly meeting...

I would like to make it up for a meeting one of these days. I know we have a bit of cross over between Morleys here in Philly and NYC.

I was born in NYC and grew up just outside the city. My mother-in-law still lives in Stony Point so I get up there quite frequently. Maybe one day I'll make it up on the day of a meeting.

DoverPipes":xw5mbbiy said:
Sean/Shawn,
It was great to meet you in NY at the Kaywoodie event. My tongue is fine, after experiencing too many of those scorching events I just observed this year. :rendeer:
Andy C.

Dave_In_Philly":oacetzdf said:
I would like to make it up for a meeting one of these days. I know we have a bit of cross over between Morleys here in Philly and NYC.

I was born in NYC and grew up just outside the city. My mother-in-law still lives in Stony Point so I get up there quite frequently. Maybe one day I'll make it up on the day of a meeting.
Dave, catch a ride with Hank and also talk Les into coming as well!

skaukatt":ezibvvji said:
Dave_In_Philly":ezibvvji said:

Dave, catch a ride with Hank and also talk Les into coming as well!
And Andy, when are we going see you??? Let's make it happen in 2012, my friend!

Lou,
It would be a highlight of my travels to join you at one of your meetings for sure.
I am totally lost at the thought of navigating New York City. Thanks for the invite hopefully someday it will happen.