Quantcast
  • ~ How to Use the New Software ~

    Try logging in and if it is not accepting your password,, look to the bottom right corner of page for Contact Us and send a message.

NYers NJians

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Cuervo25_1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
Have any of you fished the Hudson? This thurs my son will be having the tubes removed from his ears. Since he is mad that he will miss the field trip at school we told him we would go fishing in the hudson. Question is what can be caught there besides crab, striped bass, shad and eel. I need to know what all I need to bring. I am hoping for an action packed adventure that will make this all worth it to him. Pictures will be taken if anything is caught and posted all over the net lol
 

Doc Manhattan

Well-known member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
3,305
Reaction score
1
Lots of carp, some quite big, though not much fun to eat. A very successful invasive species.

How far upstate are you going? It's a different aquaculture once you get out of the brackish stretch (which this helpful site says runs as far as 150 mi north.)

Down by the piers, you can also occasionally catch Mafia informants and Coney Island whitefish. :shock:
 

MisterE

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Council Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
3
Doc Manhattan":50krpy9y said:
Down by the piers, you can also occasionally catch Mafia informants and Coney Island whitefish. :shock:
:lol!:
 

Cuervo25_1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
Doc Manhattan":drnx5wug said:
Lots of carp, some quite big, though not much fun to eat. A very successful invasive species.

How far upstate are you going? It's a different aquaculture once you get out of the brackish stretch (which this helpful site says runs as far as 150 mi north.)

Down by the piers, you can also occasionally catch Mafia informants and Coney Island whitefish. :shock:

actually we will be in North bergan at the Palisades Med center which is right on the Hudson so I think that is all salt. I am thinking maybe Blues will make an apperance and hoping for a big bag of cash :lol:
 

LIPIPE

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
972
Reaction score
0
The Hudson is pretty dirty down at this end. I don't know that I'd eat anything that might be caught. It's not exactly a fisherman's paradise.
 

Cuervo25_1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
LIPIPE":nb40eban said:
The Hudson is pretty dirty down at this end. I don't know that I'd eat anything that might be caught. It's not exactly a fisherman's paradise.
Not looking to take anything home (unless it is the bag of money) just Catch and release. That could change if I get a really nice striper THAT IS STRIPER NOT STRIPPER :lol: They should be returning from their breeding now so I may be into some heavy action.


I thought the hudson was "cleaned up"
 

Doc Manhattan

Well-known member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
3,305
Reaction score
1
The current DEC advisory for the lower Hudson on stripers is:

Women of childbearing age and children under 15 should eat NO stripers.

Everyone else, no more than 1 meal (1/2 lb or under) per month of stripers.

Other fish: no more than 1 meal/week for all healthy people.

Avoid eating innards of any Hudson catch, including crab "mustard" (green goop.)
 

Cuervo25_1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
Doc Manhattan":vlwcyp5g said:
The current DEC advisory for the lower Hudson on stripers is:

Women of childbearing age and children under 15 should eat NO stripers.

Everyone else, no more than 1 meal (1/2 lb or under) per month of stripers.

Other fish: no more than 1 meal/week for all healthy people.

Avoid eating innards of any Hudson catch, including crab "mustard" (green goop.)

So I guess the part of the hudson that runs between Jersey and NYC is the lower part while the part that is in NYS is the upper.

No matter anyway not planning on eating anything, just taking the boy out for fun.
 

Doc Manhattan

Well-known member
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
3,305
Reaction score
1
Lower Hudson is below the Croton watershed. If it were me, I would't eat anything south of Poughkeepsie (that sounds much dirtier than I intended.)

On the other hand, if you land a really gorgeous striper, and it's superficially clean inside, hell, you only go around once. And every kids should learn to scale and gut a fish!
 

Cuervo25_1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
LIPIPE":hgdhonj6 said:
My advice throw back the striper/taste the stripper.
I think I would be in more trouble if I tasted the stripper. Divorce,Alimony,and child support don't sound very appetising . Not to mention who knows where those strippers have been :lol:
 

LIPIPE

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 18, 2010
Messages
972
Reaction score
0
Of course, but at the same time a guy must always have some mental fantasy. Don't worry, I've never known the Hudson River to be a "RED LIGHT" district. Ha Ha! Nothing wrong with putting a smile on Dad's face.
 

Cuervo25_1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
410
Reaction score
0
LIPIPE":kcrnyb7b said:
Of course, but at the same time a guy must always have some mental fantasy. Don't worry, I've never known the Hudson River to be a "RED LIGHT" district. Ha Ha! Nothing wrong with putting a smile on Dad's face.
If you seen some of the women I did in the med center you would think it was the "red light" district :lol: We didn't go fishing this time, he was so looped out he just wanted to come home and sleep. I am going to take him to the river by our house tomorrow and make a trip to a better part of the hudson another time
 
Top