NYers NJians

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuervo25_1

Reaction score
Have any of you fished the Hudson? This thurs my son will be having the tubes removed from his ears. Since he is mad that he will miss the field trip at school we told him we would go fishing in the hudson. Question is what can be caught there besides crab, striped bass, shad and eel. I need to know what all I need to bring. I am hoping for an action packed adventure that will make this all worth it to him. Pictures will be taken if anything is caught and posted all over the net lol

Lots of carp, some quite big, though not much fun to eat. A very successful invasive species.

How far upstate are you going? It's a different aquaculture once you get out of the brackish stretch (which this helpful site says runs as far as 150 mi north.)

Down by the piers, you can also occasionally catch Mafia informants and Coney Island whitefish. :shock:

Doc Manhattan":drnx5wug said:
Lots of carp, some quite big, though not much fun to eat. A very successful invasive species.

How far upstate are you going? It's a different aquaculture once you get out of the brackish stretch (which this helpful site says runs as far as 150 mi north.)

Down by the piers, you can also occasionally catch Mafia informants and Coney Island whitefish. :shock:

actually we will be in North bergan at the Palisades Med center which is right on the Hudson so I think that is all salt. I am thinking maybe Blues will make an apperance and hoping for a big bag of cash :lol:

The Hudson is pretty dirty down at this end. I don't know that I'd eat anything that might be caught. It's not exactly a fisherman's paradise.

LIPIPE":nb40eban said:
The Hudson is pretty dirty down at this end. I don't know that I'd eat anything that might be caught. It's not exactly a fisherman's paradise.
Not looking to take anything home (unless it is the bag of money) just Catch and release. That could change if I get a really nice striper THAT IS STRIPER NOT STRIPPER :lol: They should be returning from their breeding now so I may be into some heavy action.

I thought the hudson was "cleaned up"

The current DEC advisory for the lower Hudson on stripers is:

Women of childbearing age and children under 15 should eat NO stripers.

Everyone else, no more than 1 meal (1/2 lb or under) per month of stripers.

Other fish: no more than 1 meal/week for all healthy people.

Avoid eating innards of any Hudson catch, including crab "mustard" (green goop.)

Doc Manhattan":vlwcyp5g said:
The current DEC advisory for the lower Hudson on stripers is:

Women of childbearing age and children under 15 should eat NO stripers.

Everyone else, no more than 1 meal (1/2 lb or under) per month of stripers.

Other fish: no more than 1 meal/week for all healthy people.

Avoid eating innards of any Hudson catch, including crab "mustard" (green goop.)

So I guess the part of the hudson that runs between Jersey and NYC is the lower part while the part that is in NYS is the upper.

No matter anyway not planning on eating anything, just taking the boy out for fun.

Lower Hudson is below the Croton watershed. If it were me, I would't eat anything south of Poughkeepsie (that sounds much dirtier than I intended.)

On the other hand, if you land a really gorgeous striper, and it's superficially clean inside, hell, you only go around once. And every kids should learn to scale and gut a fish!

LIPIPE":hgdhonj6 said:
My advice throw back the striper/taste the stripper.
I think I would be in more trouble if I tasted the stripper. Divorce,Alimony,and child support don't sound very appetising . Not to mention who knows where those strippers have been :lol:

Of course, but at the same time a guy must always have some mental fantasy. Don't worry, I've never known the Hudson River to be a "RED LIGHT" district. Ha Ha! Nothing wrong with putting a smile on Dad's face.

LIPIPE":kcrnyb7b said:
Of course, but at the same time a guy must always have some mental fantasy. Don't worry, I've never known the Hudson River to be a "RED LIGHT" district. Ha Ha! Nothing wrong with putting a smile on Dad's face.
If you seen some of the women I did in the med center you would think it was the "red light" district :lol: We didn't go fishing this time, he was so looped out he just wanted to come home and sleep. I am going to take him to the river by our house tomorrow and make a trip to a better part of the hudson another time