ODF plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
So I worked a trade for a couple of tins of this a while back. It's every bit as dense as 3P, and a bit sweeter than the flake version in my opinion. I cut a single flake about 3mm thick and cube cut it for the first smoke. It lasted way longer in the pipe than I expected. DGT'd several times to no appreciable detriment. I found it superior to the ready rubbed version, and has a good future if more is produced.

I bought a couple tins recently; my first go at plug tobacco.  Cut a slice and rubbed it out the best I could which was not very well; didn't think of cube cutting it and probably should have.  Smoked it in my Mark Twain Pete and as OW said, it lasted a good long time.  Strong but not harsh; no bite at all.  I will say that I had a couple of fingers of good Scotch along with it, and at the end of the smoke I could feel the hit - whether it was from the whisky or the tobacco I don't know  :shock: !

I’ve been laying low and it was all sold out by the time I realized it was a thing, but a brother generously shared some at a recent pipe club meeting. I know some folks are skeptical about Kentucky benefiting from the press but I really thought it had a little extra something over the original ODF—a little fermented, maybe, and even smoother to my palate.

Hey Gramps! Long time no see!

I agree, it is as you say. The plug is just a bit darker than the flake.

Nice to see you!

I prefer the plug to the flake. It's sweeter and overall more well rounded in flavor.

Ozark Wizard":ex3g6jn8 said:
Hey Gramps! Long time no see!

I agree, it is as you say. The plug is just a bit darker than the flake.

Nice to see you!
Thanks, Ozzie, life's kept me pretty busy--hope all's been well with you and yours!

JimInks":9smkxu4v said:
I prefer the plug to the flake. It's sweeter and overall more well rounded in flavor.
Talking with Per at the Richmond show he hinted they'd be doing more runs of it, along with plugs of Bold Kentucky and Matured Virginia. Hoping when they do I catch wind of it ahead of time and can order some before they sell out.

And great meeting you at the show, Jim, looking forward to catching up again soon!

GrampaGrossbart":klnkrmyy said:
JimInks":klnkrmyy said:
Talking with Per at the Richmond show he hinted they'd be doing more runs of it, along with plugs of Bold Kentucky and Matured Virginia. Hoping when they do I catch wind of it ahead of time and can order some before they sell out.

And great meeting you at the show, Jim, looking forward to catching up again soon!
It was great to meet you, too. Hope your son liked the drawing.

Ok I’m drawing a complete blank here and I haven’t even started drinking yet. What is ODF?

Thanks brewdude. Darn that really sounds like a great blend.

JimInks":kie6itg9 said:
GrampaGrossbart":kie6itg9 said:
JimInks":kie6itg9 said:

Don't actually have any kids, but I sure appreciated it! Got the Bat watching over my desk now.

GrampaGrossbart":lwuzzo4j said:
JimInks":lwuzzo4j said:
GrampaGrossbart":lwuzzo4j said:
JimInks":lwuzzo4j said:

Don't actually have any kids, but I sure appreciated it! Got the Bat watching over my desk now.
When you have a son (several on this forum can be adopted, you know :twisted: ), he can watch over him. Glad you like the drawing.