Off to the PNW

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
A bizarre sequence of events is sending me to Vancouver Island tomorrow.

I am to become the principal of a new school there. Well...its actually an extension of the school I am currently the principal of here in Korea. The new president here (the old one is in jail for corruption) does not favor elite schools and beginning in April teachers at foreign schools began getting expelled from the country. Thankfully none of my teachers got the boot but we needed to think quick about how to survive. The BC govt graciously gave us the green light to open a school in BC so suddenly I'm heading a gr. 9 to 12 school in Coombs, BC of all places. Coombs is famous for a store that has goats on its roof.

The terrific irony of all this is that I will be living about 10 mins away from my father who retired there while I was abroad. Fate works in mysterious ways!

First order of business will be confirming housing for my students which at this point is looking like an assortment of log cabins near the school. Cool!

Next order of business will be getting a school bus (the big ol yellow kind), my bus license, first aid and finding a math teacher pronto to fill out the staff. I can do many tjings but I draw the line at teaching Calculus.

Thats my life event of recent.

Looking forward to some fishing and maybe some golf cause there are some good courses there. My goal is to play a round on Quadra Island soon. Amazing course.

Cheers all!

WOW, nice move and congratulations. Wish you all the best. Fate does work mysteriously and very much in your favor!! God said " Mr. Psmith has been a good boy. It's time he reaped the benefits he's earned.

Once your settled in make sure you post a few pictures of goats walking on the roof of the store. Hey, if they're customers, whatever floats their boat...lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Congratulations! You'll be moving to one of the garden spots of the world. Getting to relocate to where your Dad lives is a big plus. I wish you all the best in your new adventure. :)

AJ

Thanks fellas.
Quite a few things need to fall into place over the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed.

Will post pics. My sisters told me I should contact CBC about making a documentary ha ha. " International school gets thwarted by government relocates to hippy town in BC and students live in yurts."

Psmith

Your sisters are right, make a quick anonymous call to the BBC on a burner cell phone. They'd cover the story that would most likely turn into a documentary.

Hope everything works out in your favor in the next two weeks. Take it day by day and stay calm.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Psmith

Quite the sudden change eh? Can't say I appreciate the new overlord throwing out the "elites" as it were. Looks like you were a positive influence, including and especially your efforts in your Nepal expedition. It's a pity that the current gooberment can't appreciate that.

But enough of politics. Good to know you're re-locating to an area where your talents can be recognised and have the chance to grow.

As you'll be aware, Vancouver island is "spitting distance" from me. While I'm not familiar with Coombs I have been to Vancouver island multiple times. My visits were mostly centred in Victoria for various beer festivals, and there's some great ales afoot there.

But the rest of the Island holds much promise from what I've seen. I'll be interested to follow your progression from here. Rock on!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR

Congratulations on what sounds like a positive move in your life !! :D

How are you doing?? Have not heard from you in a while. Are you settled in yet? You always can find some relaxing time and enjoy one of your favorite pipes and tobacco's!! Please keep us posted.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!