ok.. heres your chance Mac boys..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Tell me why I should buy a vastly under spec Mac Book for the same price I can buy a top of the line PC..

And "it just works" is bullshit..Vista was kind of crappy, 7 looks good , and BSOD hasn't been an issue since ME.

That it can duel boot to Windows is also a non-issue.. Whatever I get I'm going to duel boot Ubuntu.

Just explain to me why I should get a Mac. No flaming please, I'm being serious.

I use a Mac primarily because of the AV capacity; I find it far superior to any of the PCs I've used in the past.

Other than this, I've never gotten a virus (in three years of Macs), my desktop has yet to crash, it hasn't gotten slower or 'clogged' like every other PC I have had, and it's just... a smoother experience.

Of course, like most things, this is all entirely subjective. I've had the top of the line alienware and falcon custom PCs. They both were dead within 2 years and needed a massive amount of rebuilding etc just to operate. Maybe I'm just brutal on computers, but I haven't had to do anything to my Mac since I bought it (2008).

I have noticed, however, that the tone of Apple has changed considerably in the past year or so. Where they were quite helpful and "with it" prior, it does seem that their massive growth of market share has reduced the customer service component. Even with that, it's a hell of a lot better than dealing with most PC companies.

The downside to Macs (which is getting considerably better) is that without dual booting it can be difficult to get the programs you want on it. For example, if you play any games at all many of them are not compatible with the Mac (though as I said, this is rapidly improving, a lot of them are supported now). I know you're planning on a dual boot, but it is worth noting.

All in all, it really just comes down to choice and personality.

I use Windows 7, Ubuntu and Mac. I like each one for different reasons. The main thing I like about the Mac is the operating system keeps the programs separate from the system folders so you don't slow down the OS the more programs you put on there. It does seem smoother for photos and video but I don't know how to make that a technical statement, just seems to work it better.

As far as the price - it's too much. If you really want to dual-boot to Ubuntu you might as well get a kick-butt Windows PC and have some real fun.

IMHO

Macs have always seemed to be better for heavily graphics-based stuff. I like them, but for what I use my computer for, I just can't justify the cost. That being said, I use a dual boot with WIndows 7, and Mint Linux 9 (Ubuntu). I rarely even touch windows, but between the two, It does whatever I need.

Ataki":o2ektogx said:
Macs have always seemed to be better for heavily graphics-based stuff. I like them, but for what I use my computer for, I just can't justify the cost. That being said, I use a dual boot with WIndows 7, and Mint Linux 9 (Ubuntu). I rarely even touch windows, but between the two, It does whatever I need.
Back in the early 90's I'd have agreed with that statement. These days though the PC's not only have the same horsepower that the Mac's have for graphics (It's actually always been the case). But the software folks are now releasing most all the same software that used to be Mac only for graphics on PC's as well.

From my perspective (PC user) really the main reason to buy a Mac falls into two categories: the first being ease of use. Everything that's used on a Mac or even available for a Mac has to be vetted by Apple. This makes for much fewer compatibility issues, though admittedly a smaller pool of hardware/software to draw from. The second is security, not that OSX or any of it's iterations are any more secure than Windows (it's been proven that it's not repeatedly) but as long as it's such a tiny fraction of the market overall then there will be substantially fewer virii, worms, trojans et cetera written to take advantage of the flaws. If I'm writing an attack do I want something that will work 90% of the time or 10%?

Macs are fin machines for the average user despite thir price point. You just have to understand the sacrifices in money and in some cases functionality you make for the stability and security you gain.

Years ago, the university I worked at became a mostly Mac supported environment. The mantra then (which I am sure was not original to here) was that Macs were designed by geniuses for idiots, and PCs were designed by idiots for geniuses.

I don't know if that still holds true, but even here, I find that when my Macs develop problems -- falling into one or more of the categories of hardware, network, or what I suspect is planned obsolescence -- there seems to be a general contempt for the idea of actually holding onto a computer for more than three years. When Macs work well they're completely transparent; when they screw up, true believers tend to philosophically wax about the new offerings in the computer store. All things considered, I'd rather get a functional PC and a few new pipes.

Actually, my home iMac is screwed up at home, and I am relieved to be taking a short break from the web there. Amazing how many chores are getting done. :)

Tim

I work on windows and mac, used to sell and fix pc's, was an MIS director for a time... I do graphics, sound, programming, words, numbers, and a bit o game playing.

Only buy a Mac if you need one - if you aren't sure if you need one you don't need one :)

Unless you desire the jewelry factor of a sleek MacBook - all aluminum frame, super battery life - super in every way - or that new MacBook air - a real thing of beauty - so thin it makes Paris Hilton jealous.

But just expensive jewelry really, as windows notebooks are as varied as ocean life and will kick the heck out of a MacBook for the buck.

Go to PC Magazine or CNet online, find the editors choice and start there :)

On a windows machine you must run Norton (and only Norton) antivirus - and keep it updated.

(I find it interesting that my iPad chose to capitalize Paris Hilton along with Mac and MacBook )

Ok.. I forgot to update. Memory isn't my strong point.
We bought a MacBook Pro and an HP G62. I handed the MacBook to the Mrs and disappeared with the HP for a couple hours..

I deleted the HP Tools partition, left the recovery partition because I'm to lazy to burn the DVDs, gave the Windows/Ubuntu partitions 40 gig each
and partitioned the rest of the HD for generic storage..

In retrospect I should have shrank the Windows partition more, all I do with it is play Empire Total War anyway.

And yes I know WINE, VMware, and a few other solutions would have allowed me to play it on Ubuntu, I just can't stand to throw the Windows away straight out of the box.. I paid for it, I'm going to find some use for it. :D

:D

CLRV":ktrh1bqr said:
Other than this, I've never gotten a virus (in three years of Macs), my desktop has yet to crash, it hasn't gotten slower or 'clogged' like every other PC I have had, and it's just... a smoother experience.
This.

Every Windows machine I've had runs as good as it ever will when new, then the bloatware just keeps piling itself on. Mostly security update stuff. For a kick, write down the file count when doing a malwarebytes-type of scan on day one, then log the file count every scan thereafter. It's insane. Software writers pay no attention at all to efficiency, anymore, relying on Moore's Law to keep things running. Also, the number of sites accessed by sites these days is growing exponentially for the same reason. (Meaning as your machine chokes down, the work it must do steadily goes up.)

Not defending Windows here, just like I'm not really attacking Mac on the backside of this post.. Just making (and admittedly possibly wrong) observations.

Windows 7 appears to have separated the OS from the data via partition.. Theoretically this will keep what your talking about from happening.

Mac has become more windows like since they became Intel based, seems like everytime you turn around they have their hand out wanting more dough. Looking at the entry level MacBook (not pro) it also looks like build quality has defiantly went down.

As for the virus issues, More and mo Mac specific virus are coming out everyday, the days of not running a security block are over.. And for the same reason as Windows. The iPhone brought Apple from the dead, the two year "Buy a Mac" campaign worked, iPad didnt hurt, more and more people are buying the whole hog and due to its popularity hackers are starting to target it. Obscurity as a defense doesn't work anymore. Look at what happened at Pwn2Own this year, Safari went down 5 seconds (not a misprint) into the attack..

For me it comes down to price and comfort. I bought a decent HTPC for $350 that completely nullified my need for the cable company. I have to agree that Mac's are more sexy, but for me I know PC's, work with them every day. As for the virus thing, I think Microsoft's A/V is top notch, and have never had a real virus outbreak with it installed.

In the end we all have our own uses and to be honest the average user probably needs nothing more than an iPad or netbook. One thing is for sure, in a business environment where most things are PC based, using a mac can be an uphill battle.

puros_bran":tqroguy0 said:
Tell me why I should buy a vastly under spec Mac Book for the same price I can buy a top of the line PC..

And "it just works" is bullshit..Vista was kind of crappy, 7 looks good , and BSOD hasn't been an issue since ME.

That it can duel boot to Windows is also a non-issue.. Whatever I get I'm going to duel boot Ubuntu.

Just explain to me why I should get a Mac. No flaming please, I'm being serious.
First - from a Mac guy, nothing wrong with a PC - use one every day. BTW, my first Mac was an 8bit IIci with 4MB Ram and a 20MG SCSI hard drive.
No, "It just works," isn't bullshit. If you don't have a specific need for a Mac, why get one?

Gandalfpc said it as well - Only buy a Mac if you need one - if you aren't sure if you need one you don't need one

Looking at most of the responses, folks here are pretty well versed in a number of platforms. Ask the average Joe walking down the street what open source or Linux is or what and API is and they'd look at you like you're speaking a foreign language (and to most of us you really are) For the average person who wants as much of a hands off experience as possible in their computer world, Mac makes pretty good sense, although pricey.

But hey, I drive a mini van for function, not form. The guy next door drives a Benz. Both get us from point A to point B. He just does it with style, although pricey.

I guess the bottom line is that the Mac is still much more intuitive for the average user willing to pay the price, while some need the affordability of the PC platform.

While Apple has had a few glitches in quality control (the original iMac, for one), to buy the quality of hardware you get when you buy a Mac, you would have to spend as much, if not more, to buy the same quality elsewhere.

My first Mac was a Macintosh SE with 1MB of memory and a 20MB hard drive. My first computer, on the other hand was a Timex-Sinclair 1000. I have had many computers in my time.

My current home computer is a Mac Mini. I love the small form factor, accepting the fact that expansion is practically non-existent. Of course, it dual-boots Windows 7 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

To respond to the comment about the same programs being available for both Mac and Windows: don't fool your self into thinking they are the same. They have the same feature set, perhaps, but the quality of the work produced by them still falls short on the Windows side. I am a user of the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, mainly). It is getting harder to tell on what system a piece was produced, but as little as five years ago I could spot a piece done on a Windows machine in short order.

I still bleed in six colors and try not to get any on the Windows machines I use. :tongue:

Tim_Haggerty":p6jeu77d said:
...there seems to be a general contempt for the idea of actually holding onto a computer for more than three years.  When Macs work well they're completely transparent; when they screw up, true believers tend to philosophically wax about the new offerings in the computer store.
Excellent observation.

I like to keep machines running for years, which does not fit into the tighter business plan that Apple (and now Google, with Android) have going.

There are different business models, and the one that separates hardware producers from operating system producers is in my view superior.