Ok, you asked for it!........John Middleton's WALNUT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justpipes":u1793053 said:
Lets just say that Moderators (me, howdy!) have this little ol button on these hyar fancy shmancy cumpyooters that show some thang called an ISP address, it's this little ol thang what shows whar a post come from, as in his'n an your'n comes from the same danged place :| :scratch:

[Is that...... banjo music? Paddle faster, paddle faster!!!]

Who loves ya Leroy! :afro: :lol!:

I seem to remember a pirate character Mark created on the old Stoker's Haven. Very colorful and entertaining, and in this case very well-timed to give much needed comic relief. Better than fish stories for sure. Maybe that is what happens to the imagination when you smoke Walnut for a long time.

Puff Daddy":t232gl47 said:
Justpipes":t232gl47 said:
Lets just say that Moderators (me, howdy!) have this little ol button on these hyar fancy shmancy cumpyooters that show some thang called an ISP address, it's this little ol thang what shows whar a post come from, as in his'n an your'n comes from the same danged place :| :scratch:

[Is that...... banjo music? Paddle faster, paddle faster!!!]

Who loves ya Leroy! :afro: :lol!:
:lol!: :lol!: Paul

We all know nothing grows under walnut due to the poison it emits. It's a fact; I read it here. Mark, it really could be dangerous to your health.

I will say this though, as much crap as Mark gets for his love of Walnut, I sure wish I had something I liked that damn much. Early on I had a go-to affinity for the Frog, but that seems to have waned and I've not found anything else in a while that I could just wake up and want to smoke.

showme

There seem to be two types of smokers when discussing tobacco. Some can smoke the same tobacco day in and day out and never tire of it. Most of us seem to need variety for several reasons. Smoking a virginia or aromatic will give me a better appreciation for my latakia blends afterwards.

CP":imibgzzh said:
I seem to remember a pirate character Mark created on the old Stoker's Haven. Very colorful and entertaining, and in this case very well-timed to give much needed comic relief. Better than fish stories for sure. Maybe that is what happens to the imagination when you smoke Walnut for a long time.
Did I here someone say Pirate?..................Well, "Blow me down"!.........Arrrggg!!!

showme1or2":a1i1v9c5 said:
Early on I had a go-to affinity for the Frog, but that seems to have waned and I've not found anything else in a while that I could just wake up and want to smoke.

showme
Showme,

I don't know how you even made it through the first bowl of that crap!!! :roll: :lol:

Sounds to me like you need to order yourself a tub of Walnut! :D

I've been pondering this whole 'Variety' thing lately. Seems to me that someone,here or at knox, brought up not seein tons of diff baccys on Papaw or Daddys mantle. I have even wondered if the whole 'Variety' thing isnt brought on by the modern pipe community telling us thats what we are supposed to do.

Other thoughts about it. Not really points for or against but stuff I'm thinkin about.

People seem content to live in one place their whole life, drive the same cars for years at a stretch, hell some even stay with one woman for extended periods. We claim to have variety in our diet but really dont. yeah sometimes I eat hamburger, sometimes tacos, and sometimes pasta, but in reality it is the same dishs over and over.
I dont want to smoke one tobacco all the time, just like I dont want to eat burritos everynight, but chances are if I'm smoking a VA/Per its PSLNF and if I'm eating burritos I'm probably at Miguels. If I'm smoking a heavy English its Penzance, if I'm eating steak I'm probably at Outback. I venture outside my choosen tobaccos from time to time just as I stray from my favored restaurants but I always end up back where I am most comfortable. I'd bet for all the 'variety is the spice of life' crap that we spew we are all way more predictable in our habits, smoking and otherwise, than we care to admit.

puros_bran":rqajk7eg said:
I've been pondering this whole 'Variety' thing lately. Seems to me that someone,here or at knox, brought up not seein tons of diff baccys on Papaw or Daddys mantle. I have even wondered if the whole 'Variety' thing isnt brought on by the modern pipe community telling us thats what we are supposed to do.

Other thoughts about it. Not really points for or against but stuff I'm thinkin about.

People seem content to live in one place their whole life, drive the same cars for years at a stretch, hell some even stay with one woman for extended periods. We claim to have variety in our diet but really dont. yeah sometimes I eat hamburger, sometimes tacos, and sometimes pasta, but in reality it is the same dishs over and over.
I dont want to smoke one tobacco all the time, just like I dont want to eat burritos everynight, but chances are if I'm smoking a VA/Per its PSLNF and if I'm eating burritos I'm probably at Miguels. If I'm smoking a heavy English its Penzance, if I'm eating steak I'm probably at Outback. I venture outside my choosen tobaccos from time to time just as I stray from my favored restaurants but I always end up back where I am most comfortable. I'd bet for all the 'variety is the spice of life' crap that we spew we are all way more predictable in our habits, smoking and otherwise, than we care to admit.
Very good Puros! You hit the nail square on the head that time buddy.

And you are right about the retailers brain washing folks into believing that they have to have 47 different blends in the cellar. Hell, I just keep about 5-6 lbs. of Walnut in the closet and I am good to go!

I have no idea why others smoke what they smoke. I only know why I smoke what I smoke. I smoke lots of different tobaccos because I like 'em. I like trying stuff I've never tried before. If I find something I like, I figure I'll probably like smoking it again, so I keep some in the cellar. Usually I'm right.

It ain't complicated.

:joker:

Nice avatar Vito! Looks like the land of milk and honey.

Hey, smoke what you like! but, like what you smoke!................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to be clear I'm not bashing anyone for their smoking habits, if you want 642 diff blends by all means buy em and smoke em. It does two things, it makes you happy, and it makes the supply chain from grower to retailer happy, which keeps em in business. I was just questioning why I keep trying new stuff when I am perfectly happy smoking a handful of diff blends.

To get us back on topic, I plan on getting a bit of Walnut and see for myself what its about. When I see a blend get bashed and praised on TR.com I chuckle. When I see a blend get bashed and praised by this group, it makes me wonder.

I enjoyed this thread.

Justpipes, thank you for the review.

Time to bust open the tub of Walnut I aquired during my last visit to JR's.

:pipe:

Stormcrow":a7by1mca said:
I enjoyed this thread.

Justpipes, thank you for the review.

Time to bust open the tub of Walnut I aquired during my last visit to JR's.

Stormcrow,

Please let us know what you think of the Walnut after you smoke it.

I would be willing to wager that you like it!

Mark

puros_bran":jl9rl65n said:

Amen brother. What you are saying makes a lot of sense and if I found that one "go to" blend that I could enjoy all day every day, I'd let everyone know about it too. I'm still searchin tho because I haven't found it yet. Perhaps its walnut, I'll have to give it a try. :)

dfkdfk":zu09whom said:
I'm still searchin tho because I haven't found it yet. Perhaps its walnut, I'll have to give it a try. :)
Once you get that tub of Walnut..........garantteed you won't be look'n back! :) :) :)

I have smoked enough Walnut now to know I'm digging it.

Burns cool and dry. Smooth, nutty, semi-sweet with just enough Latakia.

I feel that retailers are giving us what we think we want. We keep asking for more of this or that. Seems that way. We are always looking for something we may have missed or something new, with lots of hope and anticipation. I cannot remember a retailer making me buy all those varieties. Unless there was some pretty slick subliminal messaging going on.

At least I could have swore I insisted that they sell me all this stuff. :lol:

Something I have been wanting to ask, is Walnut still being made? I haven't seen any in the stores in some time.