Ok, you asked for it!........John Middleton's WALNUT

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just smoked a wee bit of Walnut this afternoon. I recieved a sample from one of the Brother's here thank you. I was very impressed actually i liked it. I like how it is more complex than the other OTC blends. I can see why Just Pipes recommends this stuff, not bad for an all day everyday smoke!

Thank you gentlemen for the honest reviews! Walnut is indeed an outstanding all day smoke.

As listed above, anyone desiring to try this outstanding blend need only to pm me an adddress.

Justpipes":fawncha3 said:
Thank you gentlemen for the honest reviews! Walnut is indeed an outstanding all day smoke.

As listed above, anyone desiring to try this outstanding blend need only to pm me an adddress.
JP, I have been smoking Walnut exclusively since I got my shipment on Monday (not that I smoke that many bowls per day) and it continues to impress me as an incredibly fine tobacco at silly bargain prices. My first impressions were from trying it in a cob, but smoking it in a larger, very open-draw briar gives a considerably different smoke with the sweetness kicking in almost immediately. The "tub-aroma" has changed as well after being opened a few days and the smokiness of presumably the Latakia can now be detected. However, I still don't detect the Latakia in the smoke other than what it adds to the overall sweetness. I still have trouble with the first light, unlike PA or CH this one does benefit from a char, tamp and light.

Thank you very much for pointing me in this direction.

I just had a great Walnut experience. I ordered 4oz to sample a couple of orders back and have had a few bowls - not that great, just OK. Today I thought I take a chance and use one of my pipes that are dedicated to english/oriental blends (instead of just the cob). I lit it very gently with a match (I think this was also a key) and sipped it slowly. I tasted latakia on light up and nice orientals all the way through the bowl. I got a little "pencil shavings" near the end just for a second, but then the orientals and other leaf come through again.

If I could get every bowl of Walnut to come through like this I would smoke it every time. I'm gonna try to duplicate this experience! If Walnut can taste like a decent English/Balkan for this price I would make it a regular in my rotation.

Stoked, my limited experience with Justpipes' Compost is growing and I still find it is quite picky about the pipe I use. My first experience with it in a cob holds true, that is not my preferred method to smoke it. A couple of my less-open drawing briars tend to give it a bit of a soapy taste. However, in my open-drawing pipes, especially my 1/8th bent Dublins with think thick walled bowls, it really sings out.

Yeah, could be so. I'm using a Brigham full bent 4 dot volcano with a pretty open draw and it's going good. I've experimented with a couple more bowls though and I really find it has alot to do with temperature. I just barely kiss it with a match flame for the charing light. On the second match I draw very lightly and move the match around to get an even, thin ember.
Thinking back, I've had a number of tobaccos that lack flavour if smoked hot. But this blend needs to be kept just burning.

I think I like Walnut! I'm getting more consistent results. We should ask JP his technique and preferred pipe for this blend.

We should ask JP his technique and preferred pipe for this blend

JP stabs the side of the Walnut cannister with a stem, rips off the top and lights up :lol!:

About 95% of my pipes are dedicated to Walnut and they all have Walnut in them at some time or another. Large bowl open draw do smoke it best.

mark":yyyxybnz said:
We should ask JP his technique and preferred pipe for this blend

JP stabs the side of the Justpipes' Compost cannister with a stem, rips off the top and lights up :lol!:

LOL! I like the mental image.

Justpipes, Thanks for the tip - open draw is working out good.

Gentlemen, JM Walnut has been discontinued, sadly I might add and it really leaves me to ponder what the United States is really coming to. I have no doubt that the current federal administration that is destroying every thing else American is also behind this. Fortunately I have enough stored to last a few years! Peace!

Justpipes":zk19zida said:
Gentlemen, JM Walnut has been discontinued, sadly I might add and it really leaves me to ponder what the United States is really coming to. I have no doubt that the current federal administration that is destroying every thing else American is also behind this. Fortunately I have enough stored to last a few years! Peace!
I never even thought about trying the stuff until it was discontinued, then I became interested... same way with Twinkies. I tried them after they were reintroduced and found that I wasn't missing much. :lol!:

Glad you have reserves, Justpipes.

Justpipes":435o2vhi said:
Never heard if you cracked that tin of 100+ year old Walnut I sent you a few years back.......
Well did ya? :p